Cartridge Filter - When to open air bleeder...

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Starting my pool this year will all new plumbing. I know I need to initially fill the leaf basket on the pump with water. When I go ahead and switch the pump on for the first time, do I open the air bleeder on my cartridge filter prior to turning on the pump - or - do I wait for the pump to prime, get the system going and THEN open it to bleed the air.

Thanks!
Dan

Interesting question because I think you can do it either way. If you open the bleeder just before turning on the pump, there is some MARGINAL less resistance as the filter fills. It's probably not enough to make any difference and you won't have any spray-out if you keep it closed.

That said, for me it's kinda fun to leave it open and then try to close it quickly just before it starts to spray....stupid, I know, but fun.

I open mine a few times during priming. Start the pump and let it run maybe 30 seconds, open 3 or 5 seconds then close. Repeat until water starts spraying out. Close, let it run a minute or so, open again to get whatever air may be left.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.