question about slamming

Apr 2, 2012
South east VA
This will be my first time slamming...I'm opening for the season and my water is green, so just have a question. It says to raise the FC shock level to your current CYA level. I have a swg pool, and right now my current cya level is 20. Do I just raise the fc level to 10 with my swg off? Or raise the cya level to at least 60 before I start to raise my fc level?

To be more complete, are you using an Approved Test Kit?

Add your pool specs, equipment and test kit to your signature so the experts (that know more than I do) can easily help you when you post.

When you do decide to add CYA, be aware results at 20 or less have potential for error. Therefore, use PoolMath to calculate how much you should add to get to 60 ppm CYA, if your actual final target is 70. Add that much, wait a week and retest. Go from there. You'd rather shoot low on CYA and bump up slowly when you get close as there is no way to lower without draining.

SLAM to 10! Brush the pool and if there is anything on the bottom, rake it with a leaf rake to get it out. If you have steps in the pool, get them out as they harbor junk behind them. Sweep the pool and keep SLAM'ing!

Do you have any test results we can have a look at?

SLAM to 10! Brush the pool and if there is anything on the bottom, rake it with a leaf rake to get it out. If you have steps in the pool, get them out as they harbor junk behind them. Sweep the pool and keep SLAM'ing!

Do you have any test results we can have a look at?

I'm still in the process of getting my FC up. But my numbers were as of last night...

FC 1.5
CC .5
PH 7.3
TA 60
CYA is 10

I did put some more bleach in before going to bed, (added the amount according to poolmath) this morning my FC was at 6, I just added some more bleach and will check it in a couple hours. Once I do get it to shock level, what's the next step? Should I then add some stabilizer to get my cya up? And then perform an OCLT test tonight?

The more you keep you FC at SLAM level the faster you will clear your pool up. IF you can test every hour and add bleach as needed to get to SLAM level. After a while you will find that your levels are holding better so you can back off of the testing. You will see a pattern with your pool.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I think I am almost there. But still something in the pool, I imagine it because I haven't had a chance to vacuum, I had to order another one something wrong with mine, should be here Wednesday. I have been brushing though and using a leaf net to get the leaves out of the bottom. My question is, my FC is 11 right now, a drop from 15 last night, should I wait until it drops below 10 to add more bleach?

Here are my numbers:

FC = 11
CC = .05
PH = 7.2
TA = 53
CYA = added 4 lbs of it yesterday to bring it up to around 30.

I have another question, my pressure from the return seems to be really low for the last couple days. I added the CYA through the skimmer slowly, I assume that is the issue, that it just hasn't all dissolved yet, should I be concerned, or just let the pump continue to run for a week or so?

And also, after I'm done slamming, when should I turn my swg on, when the FC drops down to normal levels?

You put the cya granules directly in the skimmer? We maybe should have been more specific about adding cya. It should go in a sock (or 2 or 3) and either then put in a skimmer or hung in front of a return (ideal). Adding directly to skimmer can indeed cause clogging, build up in your filter and you might even backwash out a good amount of it if it doesn't dissolve. CYA takes several hours or longer to dissolve depending on temperature.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yea, I've read that it shouldn't matter though if you put it direct in skimmer or not, but the preferred is a sock. The directions on the container even said to pour direct in skimmer, Just not to backwash for 48-72 hours, so figure it couldn't hurt. So should I just let the pump continue to run for a week or so and if doesn't improve backwash then? Or any other thing I should do?

Yeah. If you put it right in the skimmer, I'd avoid backwashing as long as you can. Give it plenty of time to dissolve. Has your pump pressure spiked up at all?

I'm not overly familiar with SWG but I would say turn it on when you've passed SLAM criteria and FC levels have dropped to close to your target FC based on CYA.

Thanks for all your help. So here are my numbers as of today.

FC = 11
CC = .5
TA = 80
CYA = 60
PH = 7.2
CH = 110

So my plan now is just to let my FC fall down to around 4 then turn on my SWG, I guess I should raise my PH also. But all the other numbers look fine to me. Does everything look good? The water is clear and OCLT has passed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.