Help! Dark Cloud from Return Jets at each Pump Restart

May 7, 2014
Central Ohio
First - Thank you to the TFP community. You guys are awesome! I am so grateful that I have someone to ask all my questions to! (And I have MANY!)

So here's my latest . ..

The pool is OLD - like 1950's old. The pipes are steel, the sides are steel, the bottom is concrete - everything exposed is painted in epoxy paint.

Each time I shut down the pump (as necessary to clean to filter basket, and backwash, ect . . . ) then when I restart the system, I get a burst of dark brown cloudiness from the return jets. The 'cloud' eventually settles to the bottom of the pool as a very fine 'dust' that is a dark brown / copper color - not unlike rust. The 'cloud' usually only lasts about a second or two, and the water that follows is crystal clear.

I should note that thanks to the TFP forum I did finally learn the correct method for backwashing - and my procedure for that is: 1. shut down the pump 2.perform backwash 3.run 'filter to waste' / rinse 4. return to 'filter to pool'. I usually run the backwash for at least 2 minutes, and the rinse for about 1 minute. I should mention that I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now - and at no point have I actually seen any dirt or debris come through the clear section of pipe at the backwash outlet.

I realize that due to the age of the pool, and the fact that the pipes are steel that rust is just a park of this gig . . but I find it odd that the burst of dust only lasts a second.

Any thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated!
Thank you.

I'm not sure I can think of a reason for #3 "run filter to waste". Why are you doing that? My procedure has always been 1. backwash 2. rinse 3. filter

I might be missing something, though, and I'm trying to think if that's related to your issue.

As an aside, I usually rinse a bit longer than a minute but not more than 2 minutes.

I have exactly the same issue, my returns are all in the bottom of the pool and always give a rusty coloured plume every time the pump starts after being idle for a while. My pool is over 30years old with steel plumbing, so I assume it's just rust, it clears quickly and my guess that the only solution is to dig out the whole pool and re-plumb in plastic. I'm just going to live with it, unless somebody has some high-tech pipe liner technology idea which would beat the **** out of breaking out the back-hoe and jack hammer!

Cheers
In_Two

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.