Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: circulate vs filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb circulate vs filter?

I thought of trying something different to the algae bloom with the pool opening this year. Has anyone tried circulating the water with chlorine until all the algae is dead and the water is cloudy? Then filtering the water thru a sand filter till it is clear? Does it seem to make a difference doing it this way or the traditional way of filtering while the algae is still "alive"/green? There are no leaves or crude in the pool. Just light green water.
    Thanks for your ideas. I learn so much from TFP.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: circulate vs filter?

That's doable and a pretty good idea...especially with a cart or DE which tend to clog quickly. It is also a good idea if you really have a gunky pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I'm doing. I just got it rolling yesterday after some lightning induced downtime. Since it's cartridge filtered I'm watching the pressure and trading it out as indicated. 3 times yesterday! They sure clean up faster when it's just algae corpses. Still murky this morning but the filter pressure has quit rising very fast.
    16K gal w/ 7ft. spa, plaster, Jandy CS200 cartridge, Waterway 2hp pump, Raypak P-R405BL heater, Polaris 280 w/pump, retired Nature2
    Magical 2ft wide waterfall cascading over a built-in bench seat with the lawn boy's name on it

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought about cutting off the pump at night and in the morning gently hitting it with the vac/ brush.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your help and suggestions. These worked and the pool is crystal clear. Just need to vacuum and let the FC come back to swimming level just before the holiday party. ) Thanks TFP. Could not have done it without you. )
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.