Is there a need to SLAM each season when opening?

Apr 26, 2011
Morgantown, WV
I opened the pool last weekend and had quite a few worms, but the water was still clear and no signs of algae. I cleaned out all the worms, sucked out all the dirt to waste, pH was fine, brought the FC level up, added some salt, got the SWG going and then ran the pump for a couple days. Everything checked out and we had a short warm streak that (combined with the heater) brought the temp up to 85. We all got in for our first swim of the season. I didn't see the need to perform a SLAM since the numbers all seemed fine. Is that OK?

You swam in an un-SLAMmed pool? You are all going to die.....in several decades from natural causes. ;)

I don't think there is ever any need to SLAM if your water is clear and balanced. I haven't had to SLAM since I started maintaining the TFP way, and that includes after opening this season.

Our evaluation of Pool water begins and ends with test results. If you say the results were fine, then they probably were but we have no idea what that means.

Posting current test results makes it very easy for responders and often reveals something minor you may want to adjust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.