SWG reading vs AquaCheck test strip

Jul 29, 2013
test strip shows 5.0 which apparently is 1760ppm, aquatrol SWG says 3600ppm.

I'm assuming test strip is off. I thought these were supposed to be accurate? Just bought them from pool store last week, now i notice they sold me test strips that say use by Jan 2014. I added salt because of the lower reading last week.

Unbelievable...... Why is it in this world you cannot trust any retailer? So is 3600 too high? Should i drain? I'm in the middle of a SLAM process that also seems to be taking too long to clear up water

Usually you just trust the SWG because that's what you have to keep happy, not the strips. The only time that doesn't apply is when the cell fails. Sometimes failing cells will incorrectly report low salt readings. I don't have that type of SWG so I don't know if that applies here though.

I was just wondering the same thing. My test strip indicate 5, but my SWG shows the salt level as OK. The manual also states the SWG needs 3000 to work. Go figure.

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump

Other users said you can run the SWG at same time. I thought running it would help ensure my FC does not drop below 18ppm

For simplicity we say to turn off the SWG and hit the pool with liquid chlorine. By keep the SWG on it adds confusion when one is ready to check the OCLT when verifying if the SLAM process is finished. If someone wants to keep the SWG on during the SLAM they can, but they need to be aware and turn it off when they perform the OCLT.

The SWG may or may not keep the FC from dropping below the 18 ppm as each SLAM is different depending on many factors. The only way to make sure the FC is staying high enough is to test often and adjust accordingly. SWG's slowly add chlorine to the pool we just say use liquid and be done with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.