Possibly painting a Cooldeck...

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-
So my pool resurface recently finished- however, the PB left an assortment of "stuff" on the decking. When they came to clean it up, there was some uncertainty around if it was bond coat splatter, gunite splatter, grout splatter, etc. There's actually a variety of crud, I think more so than the project manager was expecting. Some of it is flat, some it's definitely a flat mound. PB sent a few different folks over to see what could be done, and it seems like it is indeed a variety of different things, some that can be acid washed, some needed to be chipped away, etc. We were told their cost to do this might be pretty high as it would be a lot of hand-and-knee labor, so we're thinking they might come back and offer to paint or stain.

Question is, is a power wash sufficient to "clean" it up before a paint/stain? Our cooldeck was already re-painted at least once (and a number of years ago)- is there any special prep needed? I'm hoping they'll at least grind down the raised "stuff" so at least we have a flat surface to walk on. Any specific things I need to be asking about at this point?

Thanks!

I'd be asking why the PB'er isn't taking care of the cost since it was messed up by the PB and or his guys. I know I'd have a hard time eating that bill without giving it to the PB'er first but that's just me. Good Luck. Sorry I can't help more. Keep us posted on the outcome. :goodjob:

I don't see why this couldn't be cleaned up with a long handled scrapper like what is used to scrape ice up north. Unless the contract you signed from the refinsiher specifically stated they don't' clean up after themselves, I agree with Casey. They should pay for the cleanup. Also, if they are that messy then I would wonder about their workmanship. If they just refinished the interior of the pool, then that stuff should chip off pretty easily. Maybe a light grinding. Still, why are they such slobs.

Oh, they're paying for it. We're talking to them today to see what they want to do. Yes, it was a little sloppy, and surprised with this PB. Most of the crews were in-house. And its been a few weeks since plaster, so it's all dry. Credit to the PB for being upfront with what it all is.

If they chip and paint, is there any special prep I need to make sure they do before paint (outside of "washed" and dry with minimal dust/dirt)?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.