Please advise with help on pool

PoolnTN

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2014
Tennessee
This spring I joined the forum in anticipation of needing help with my pool this spring/summer. Either I have been unable to find it or there were changes in the forum, but I thought I recalled a forum where experienced members would help a newbie walk through "recovering" their pool. If this was the case can someone direct me to the appropriate place or give me a little direction on the best way to proceed? Sorry in advance if this was the wrong forum to post this question.

Last edited:
Re: Please advise on the best place to post.

This forum is fine for you to post. The first thing we will need to help you get started is a set of current test results and then tell us how your water looks. Can you provide the test results?

We're here to help PoolnTN!

Welcome to TFP! Have you read Pool School yet?

Hey, thanks in advance,

I did read pool school, thanks for the advice. However I'm afraid I'm much past that scenario now (tadpoles are jumping after less than one year??) I bought a house with a pool but with the addition of two tricycle motors I let that slide a bit. But I want to get it usable so that the little ones can play.

Have you ordered a TF100 or K2006 test kit yet? If you have not, I would suggest getting the TF100 XL test kit.

If it's full of water, let the pump/filter rip and get us a full set of test results (NOT from the pool store)! The test kit is a must have in pool ownership.

Have you ordered a TF100 or K2006 test kit yet? If you have not, I would suggest getting the TF100 XL test kit.

If it's full of water, let the pump/filter rip and get us a full set of test results (NOT from the pool store)! The test kit is a must have in pool ownership.

Thanks, I knew from previous reading on the board that I needed to get a test kit ASAP in order to be able to provide any information that would be useful. I will get the one you suggested on order.

- - - Updated - - -

Not exactly, but thanks for providing the link since I'd been looking for that. I read it last winter and was looking for it also.

First off thanks to everyone for the replies.

Casey,
I knew from previous reading that I needed to get a kit ordered ASAP. I will get the one you suggested on order. I plan on getting the filter going this weekend. The chlorine dispenser cracked over the winter (tree branch fell on it) so I plan on just removing it unless you guys think I need to replace it with another. I've got to pick up a few PVC elbows before I can do so.

Richard320,
Not exactly but thanks for the link. I found that last winter and had been looking for it.

Also, a few quick questions for everyone:

1. Should I attempt to continue scooping leaves out of the "abyss"? Or will I be able to clear it up without getting them out?

2. Should I be concerned with how dirty the sand is in the filter? I have no idea when it was changed and I went through a similar process last year with an extremely dirty pool. I did backwash it regularly during the process, though.

3. Is there a way to change my thread title to more accurately reflect the subject?

1.Definitely, scoop out all that you can-- ALL !
2. Backwash to clean the filter!
3. I got here as will all the folks you need to help you, you can leave it as is!
4. You'll get all the help here you need to get it sparkling blue!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Also, a few quick questions:

1. Should I attempt to continue scooping leaves out of the "abyss"? Or will I be able to clear it up without getting them out?

Scoop out as much as possible. Leaving them would dramatically slow the SLAM process.

2. Should I be concerned with how dirty the sand is in the filter? I have no idea when it was changed and I went through a similar process last year with an extremely dirty pool. I did backwash it regularly during the process, though.

You might need to I suggest you deep clean the sand filter. Here - http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

3. Is there a way to change my thread title to more accurately reflect the subject?
Go to the first post in the thread and edit the subject.
Welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm about to order the kit. What options would you recommend getting besides the XL option? Do I need borate strips? I thought about adding the Speedstir since I read it seems to be worth it.

Hold on the borates. That is something for later down the road and I would not encourage you to learn about them until you have had some practice keeping your pool in balance for maybe 300 days or so.

Still going...

It seems like I may need some more sand. It seems pretty low and it feels like there are a bunch of "valleys" in the sand when I move the hose around. How much of the barrel should it fill up? Do I need to get some more sand at a pool store or will a home improvement store have something that will work?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.