Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools

Hello,

I am moving to a house with a pool in a few weeks. This is all new to me, so I'm hoping to learn a lot in the coming weeks.

We do have a little one and the first thing I plan on doing is adding a pool fence for protection.

Is this a DIY type job or is it recommended to get it done professionally? Also any recommendations on a high quality mesh fence?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pools

Welcome to TFP Pool Student. Please check out Pool School and read everything there front and back. When you're done, read it again. Have you ordered a test kit yet? It is a must have piece of equipment that all pool owners should have. Test Kit Comparison

As far as the pool fence, someone more knowledgeable will have to comment as to whether it's a DIY project or not. Good Luck with it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

You haven't provided any specifics. Above ground? In ground? Have you ever done fencing before? If not, and you're not terribly handy, learning to install fence while getting your new-to-you pool up and running may be overwhelming.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Study pool school, order a test kit, and use the search box for threads about fencing. I seem to recall someone set up a rather nice one using some lattice panels from Lowes recently.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by CeeElGee View Post
    You haven't provided any specifics. Above ground? In ground? Have you ever done fencing before? If not, and you're not terribly handy, learning to install fence while getting your new-to-you pool up and running may be overwhelming.
    It is an above ground pool. I have done a backyard fence post before, but nothing like posting posts in concrete.

I would say I'm a novice/intermediate on the handiness scale. But, you are right that doing all that might be overwhelming.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PoolStudent View Post
    Hello,

I am moving to a house with a pool in a few weeks. This is all new to me, so I'm hoping to learn a lot in the coming weeks.

We do have a little one and the first thing I plan on doing is adding a pool fence for protection.

Is this a DIY type job or is it recommended to get it done professionally? Also any recommendations on a high quality mesh fence?
    Every time I get a quote to build a fence I decide to build it myself. Every time I build a fence I vow to pay some one to do it the next time.

It's not difficult but it can be A LOT of work.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Nice post, freqz. I find exactly the same. A fence is technically pretty easy but a real PITA with a lot of hard work to get it right.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Given that it is a PITA any mesh fences that are highly recommended, as we mainly care about safety.

9. Back To Top    #9

You mentioned that you have an above ground pool, but in another one of your threads you show a picture of an in-ground pool? If you are talking about pool safety fence that goes around the pool deck, then I can give you a recommendation as I recently (February 2014) had one installed in my home in Central Florida. Send me a private message if this is the case. The installation turned out great and provides a lot of peace of mind with the little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolStudent View Post
    It is an above ground pool. I have done a backyard fence post before, but nothing like posting posts in concrete.

I would say I'm a novice/intermediate on the handiness scale. But, you are right that doing all that might be overwhelming.
    20,000 gal, IG plaster, Hayward DE 3620 (72gpm), Flotec 1.5HP
    TF-100 kit