Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump impeller broken...replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump impeller broken...replacement?

I noticed yesterday that the pump was no longer pumping water. I opened the basket lid, and found the end-cap to the impeller laying in the pipe. I took the removed the motor from the basket-housing area and removed the top to find the broken impeller. The motor seems to be fine. I assume it should be possible to simply replace the impeller, but I'm kind of confused as to how it is connected to the shaft. Anyways, here's a couple pics. I didn't spend too much time looking at it - just kind of glanced and figured I'd rather do something else for the time being. Thanks.

2014-05-15 18.45.33.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the other pic
    ~10,500gal IG Plaster; Hayward Sand Filter; Kreepy Krawly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Pump impeller broken...replacement?

What kind of pump do you have?

Most impellers screw onto the motor shaft. It'll be a matter of removing any broken piece from the motor, and buying the correct impeller. Also, see if there's a part number stamped onto the broken impeller.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry