Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results

I completely drained and refilled the pool from a hose so the water is "fresh". To the eye it's crystal clear. I have a K2006 test kit on the way but in the mean time I took a bottle of water to the local pool store. This is the results and their recommendations. How does this sound?

Results:
    PH 7.5
    Calcium hardness 90 ppm
    Total alkalinity 30 ppm
    CYA 10 ppm

Recommended chemicals:
    31 lbs total alkalinity
    34 lbs calcium hardness
    6 lbs stabilizer
    Chlorine tabs
    60' x 20' L-shape, 23K gal, NSW, IG Plaster, built spring 2002, 3 HP Inteliflo pump, Cartridge filter, gas heater, swim lane, volleyball net, Dolphin A30i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test results

Just being Nosy, but why did you drain?

Have you read POOL SCHOOL? Click on the link at the Top of the screen. All sorts of helpful articles.

I'm glad you have a test kit on the way.

I'd ignore anything they told you. I didn't even verify, its just that after servicing 5 "Pool Stored" pools today... I'm crabby.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure where you get your water, but there is never any CYA in tap water. Just more proof that pool store tests are unreliable. I'd add some of the CYA and some chlorine to get it up to at least 2 ppm.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Road scholar View Post
    I completely drained and refilled the pool from a hose so the water is "fresh". To the eye it's crystal clear. I have a K2006 test kit on the way but in the mean time I took a bottle of water to the local pool store. This is the results and their recommendations. How does this sound?

Results:
    PH 7.5
    Calcium hardness 90 ppm
    Total alkalinity 30 ppm
    CYA 10 ppm

Recommended chemicals:
    31 lbs total alkalinity
    34 lbs calcium hardness
    6 lbs stabilizer
    Chlorine tabs
    It sounds suspicious. Tap water has no CYA in it. How much residual water did you have in the pool after draining it? Must have been a lot to show 10 ppm CYA. pH I'd trust for now. The others? Hmmmm.

TA is just baking soda. Big bags are for sale at Costco. Stabilizer AND chlorine tablets? Both add CYA. You don't want to overdo it. Tablets also lower pH and TA, and you're already low on TA.

You'll need a bunch of CYA. Pool volumes tend to be overstated. Maybe one 4 lb canister of CYA for now, in a sock, in front of a return. Leave it there until it dissolves. It will take a few days. You can always add more, once you know what it really is.

In the meantime, add three quarts of 8.25% Chlorox or equivalent every day until you get the test kit and can adjust things properly. Somewhere in there, add a couple 7 lb bags of baking soda. It's really easy to add more later, but overdoing it will just make you use more acid later. Calcium? I'd hold off until I had test results I could trust.

End prescription.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome advice, thanks. I completely drained the pool to do some repairs and sand some scaling. Pool is full of tap water, all 25K gal, plus some debris from the current storm and spring trees shedding.

So CYA comes in canisters? Where is the best place to get that, pool store? Thanks for the tips on using bleach and baking soda. I started reading pool school. I'm heading out to the Blue Ridge on motorcycles as soon as the rain calms down but taking the iPad and will read the rest over the weekend. This is a good start. Thanks again.
    60' x 20' L-shape, 23K gal, NSW, IG Plaster, built spring 2002, 3 HP Inteliflo pump, Cartridge filter, gas heater, swim lane, volleyball net, Dolphin A30i robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA is sold at pool stores, big-box hardware stores, possibly small hardware stores, and places like Walmart. It might be called Stabilizer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

You can get CYA at wal-mart for cheap. It's called "stabalizer", make sure ingredients say 100% cyanuric acid
    I get baking soda at costco as well as clorox bleach
    i think the only thing you "need" from a pool store is calcium "hardness". I have to add about 15 pounds at pool opening to keep up the CH for the season.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

8. Back To Top    #8

I sent my wife to walmart to pick up a 6.5 lb jug this morning, cost just over $20 including tax. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc26ek882s...2016.02.39.jpg
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I found stabilizer plus at walmart. It's granular and has some sulphuric acid in addition to cya. Is this ok?

10. Back To Top    #10

I would steer clear of anything with "Plus" or "+Xtra" on it.

This is what you need:

Aqua-Chemical-Stabilizer-3lbs
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks.

Questions:
    Do I pour the Clorox and borax into the skimmer or broadcast in the general pool water? Is there a section in Pool School that covers this?

Oops, just found it in pool school!

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't put anything in your skimmer. Some products instruct you to do this, but trust me, it usually ends up at the very least making a mess and wasting product. Even worse you could end up clogging or damaging your equipment.

Liquid bleach should be poured with the opening close to the water surface to avoid splashing, but do NOT use splashless varieties! Carefully aim the descending stream of bleach to intersect the water jet flowing out of the return so it mixes rapidly.
    Borax mixes pretty quick if broadcasted and swept with a brush. However I recommend putting the proper amount into a bucket of water and pre-dissolving it then pouring the mixture in front of the return just like the bleach.

Thanks.

Questions:
    Do I pour the Clorox and borax into the skimmer or broadcast in the general pool water? Is there a section in Pool School that covers this?

Oops, just found it in pool school!
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

13. Back To Top    #13

I found stabilizer plus at walmart. It's granular and has some sulphuric acid in addition to cya. Is this ok?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155 That'swhat you want-- you may have to order it site to store. it says my salt pool, but it works just fine with bleach too.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

14. Back To Top    #14

That's a much better deal than what I posted. 6.5lbs for only $19.97 vs 3lbs for 12.97. I wish my Walmart carried it.

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155 That'swhat you want-- you may have to order it site to store. it says my salt pool, but it works just fine with bleach too.

15. Back To Top    #15

Google it, it's available at numerous stores besides some walmarts. Fleet Farm and Menards and Kmart too are a few of them.