Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Pools

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Pools

So we had our pool built last august and then covered it for the winter. I am now just getting it open for the season and I have noticed that at times the skimmer does not appear to be pulling very well. It is the type without a flapper and a diverter in the bottom below the basket. My question is on the diverter there is a hole with adjustable cover. How open is this suppose to be? When i close it down mostly it seems to make the skimmer work and when its mostly open then it seems to stop pulling.

As shown in this picture I wasn't getting very much pull so when I closed it down it seems to be working better. I just wanted to make sure I haven't changed something that could damage the pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Pools

That flap usually is underneath. All it does is balance the flow between the skimmer and the main drain. You want to fiddle with it so you get lots of action in the skimmer and a little in the main drain. You probably won't be able to even tell if the main drain is getting any. Just know that when the skimmer starts looking sluggish, you went too far. Hope that helps.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New to Pools

Ok great, I just wanted to make sure that if water levels dropped that I didn't change something that would affect if switching to main drain?