New to Pools

Rupes

May 15, 2014
Pasco, Washington
So we had our pool built last august and then covered it for the winter. I am now just getting it open for the season and I have noticed that at times the skimmer does not appear to be pulling very well. It is the type without a flapper and a diverter in the bottom below the basket. My question is on the diverter there is a hole with adjustable cover. How open is this suppose to be? When i close it down mostly it seems to make the skimmer work and when its mostly open then it seems to stop pulling.

As shown in this picture I wasn't getting very much pull so when I closed it down it seems to be working better. I just wanted to make sure I haven't changed something that could damage the pump.

That flap usually is underneath. All it does is balance the flow between the skimmer and the main drain. You want to fiddle with it so you get lots of action in the skimmer and a little in the main drain. You probably won't be able to even tell if the main drain is getting any. Just know that when the skimmer starts looking sluggish, you went too far. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.