Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please Help, adding sand filter to summer escapes pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Help, adding sand filter to summer escapes pool

I am a new pool owner and want to add a sand filter to my 15x42 metal frame summer escapes pool.

I began to read here about how to convert it onto my pool, also saw some videos on youtube.

My new pump arrived today, but it does not come with the plunger valves? My pool did not come with these.
    Is there a way to hook up my pump without buying the plunger valves on ebay?

I have the intex 80110 1600gph....

I am new at this so any help would be helpful.. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Help, adding sand filter to summer escapes pool

Welcome to TFP. Someone will be around soon to help you with your modifications.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Your choice is E-bay or Amazon.

You will need the valves and large strainers, or valves and adapters.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

It would help to know the brand of sand filter.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

I assumed the Intex 2650 or smaller sand filter.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the intex 80110 1600gph.... hope that helps?

7. Back To Top    #7

It does, some .I would adapt it to use standard PVC plumbing parts. Your summer escapes appears to use the same fittings as my old Intex did. In that case, a rubber Fernco 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" adapter will fit and you can connect that to standard PVC plumbing. From there it is a matter of connecting the plumbing to the Intex. It appears the Intex pump will take standard 1.5" threaded fittings. You can buy your own ball valves wherever you get the rest of the parts. It will be a much better quality job. After the second burst hose one summer, I replumbed my Intex pool with PVC pipe back when I had it.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by crokett View Post
    .......a rubber Fernco 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" adapter will fit and you can connect that to standard PVC plumbing.
    Fernco rubber fittings have a tendency to leak in even low pressure applications, just a warning.
    From there it is a matter of connecting the plumbing to the Intex. It appears the Intex pump will take standard 1.5" threaded fittings.
    Not so much, unless the newest Intex offerings have changed. The hose threads are a metric straight thread, similar to an american fire hydrant, not a tapered pipe thread.
    You can buy your own ball valves wherever you get the rest of the parts.Hardware and big box store ball valves don't last but a season or two unless you happen to find pool rated valves.
    It will be a much better quality job. After the second burst hose one summer, I replumbed my Intex pool with PVC pipe back when I had it.
    Using normal PVC, you will probably need a couple of feet of flexible PVC at each pool wall fitting. Intex style pools move a lot . Rigid PVC will eventually break from constant flexing.

9. Back To Top    #9

I started with an Intex Pool. I used rigid PVC and rubber ferncos for 2 years. I had no problems. There is a surprising amount of flexibility in PVC, especially in a longer run. I had more problems with the cheapie hoses bursting than anything with the PVC.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the help. I guess to have a clean pool im going to just buy the plungers. I like the pvc idea, just dont know it i could figure it out on my own! lol

Thanks for all the help

11. Back To Top    #11

I got rid of my plungers and put in standard 1.5" hayward return/inlet fittings then a hose barb connection and used the hoses that came with my filter/pump. I think the newer style plungers are probably better than the old ones I had. (My intex is pretty old. I'm thinkin' 8+ years) Maybe the newer plungers aren't as constricting as mine were.

I wasn't quite ready for full pvc so I stuck with the hoses for now but I hated my plungers.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer