Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking return line at fernco

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking return line at fernco

One of the return lines is leaking. It's a new pool, but I'm sure it wasn't leaking until recently. So I'm not sure if I bumped into it while cleaning or a dog may have bumped into it. Either way it's leaking from the top portion of this fernco coupling. If you look close you can actually see it in the picture. I tried the obvious tightening of the band clamp and it seemed to make it worse so I backed back off on it.

Any suggestions? I kind of like the fernco fitting but not opposed to replacing it with a hard fitting if necessary. I just don't know how I'll do it. There's a valve back at the pump, but there's no stopping the water from coming out of the return fitting when I disconnect that fernco. Unless I somehow plug the return port inside the pool, which brings me to my next question... any idea on how to thread or connect things to the returns on a Doughboy? There's no threads inside, so I don't know how I would go about connecting a DIY aerator or novelty fountain, etc...

~16,200 gallon 18x34 Doughboy AG pool. Fully above ground (not buried, no deep end). TF-100 test kit. Variable speed pump. Cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking return line at fernco

Do you have a way to measure the inside diameter of your return fitting inside the pool?

Check here, and see if there is a pipe outside diameter that will slip in, friction fit: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pv...ons-d_795.html

If there is, a piece with a cap on the end will stop the water from the pool long enough for you to glue the proper fitting in.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I'll check when I get home today. Do you recommend I replace the ferno with something hard or just try to get it to re-seat properly? I wonder why they installed it that way, surely the fernco is even more expensive than a PVC reducer. If you recommend replace with a PVC, do you know what type of plastic that return fitting is, and if I can use regular PVC glue with it? I wonder if that's why they went with a fernco.
    ~16,200 gallon 18x34 Doughboy AG pool. Fully above ground (not buried, no deep end). TF-100 test kit. Variable speed pump. Cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wish I watched them do that part... if it's the return fitting on this page, it looks like there's some odd threads, but not really threads, on that fitting preventing a hard smooth walled pipe from sealing:
    http://www.doughboy-pools.com/produc...therparts.aspx

5. Back To Top    #5

That appears to be a barbed fitting. Made for poly type tubing. Not a glue type at all.

I would guess that is why the fernco.

Options:

Try to reseat the fernco;
    Replace the return fitting with a glue or threaded;
    Replace the fernco with a short piece of pool hose.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Since my other return is doing fine, I'm going to just try to re-seat this fernco. The inside diameter is 1" so I'll give the 3/4" pipe a whack. I've read where I can use silicon caulk inside the fernco to help with a seal, might try that if re-seating it doesn't work. Just concerned I won't be able to get it off cleanly in the future if needed.

Thanks Charlie.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you use the silicon on it, then later need to take it off, a pair of pliers to wiggle it back and forth will break the silicon loose from the pipe, then you can peel it from the fernco. BTDT.