Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae Help

Ok he is the story. I went out of town for 2 weeks and came back to dark spots on the bottom of my pool. Upon closer inspection it is algae that has taken hold in the pebble finish of my pool. I confirmed it is algae by placing a puck in the spot and it will turn it white in an hour or two. I know I need to shock but in 5 years if pool ownership have never had to do it. Here are my stats

Swg
    Fc 3
    Cc .5
    Cya 50

Questions

My water is clear just have the algae spots I am to shock correct.

Best place to get bleach they don't sell liquid chlorine in my area.

How many gallons of bleach.

Thanks guys I had a little if this algae last year and did not take it serious because it was the end of the season. Now it's time for war.

Ps before I left my cya was low so I have some pucks going now so that is probably the only reason my fc is 3
    IG Freeform Gunite 32x16, 15000 gal, 1.5 Jandy Stealth Pump, Jandy 460 Cart. Filter, LED Light, Stone Scapes Tropics Blue Finish, Aqua Pure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae Help

Assuming you have one of the recommended test kits, How about posting a full set of results?

You may not be aware, but they've changed the name of the algae clearing process......Shock Level And Maintain (SLAM)

Since you have a SWG, yes, your CYA is a bit low. Might want to dose it a bit with LC, and have your SWG checked.

A good idea for you to go back through Pool School, as well.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the test kits through here did not bother testing the rest because figured all that matter was chlorine and cya for shock advise.
    IG Freeform Gunite 32x16, 15000 gal, 1.5 Jandy Stealth Pump, Jandy 460 Cart. Filter, LED Light, Stone Scapes Tropics Blue Finish, Aqua Pure 1400

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you done the full set since you opened this year?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

No but I can tomorrow

6. Back To Top    #6

You should test the pool at least monthly on all parameters.

When SLAM'ing, you're going to need to really brush this algae because it's taken hold onto the pebbles. By brushing , you're scratching the algae up for the chlorine to penetrate and kill it. A good brushing daily should speed things along as you maintain the SLAM.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks I started slam yesterday. Gonna go for a few days before I try the overnight test.