New House, New Pool - Algea/Dirt Problem?

May 15, 2014
Maine
Hi guys, since our offer was accepted on our new home, I have been tirelessly reading through this forum and trying to learn as much as I can. Well this week we finally opened our pool(18x36 In-Ground, 21k gallons, Cartridge filter). The water is clear until you disturb it, but there is immense amounts of Algae(dead?) or dust all over the bottom. It is a yellow/brown/green color and poofs into the water whenever you touch it. I have a Taylor K-2006 kit, but haven't tested yet.

Here are my basic questions, I am sure I will have more!

1. Should I test, and get my stabilizer, TA and ph right. Then bring the pool to shock levels and hold it there until I pass all the requirements and then vacuum/clean? Or should I vacuum and clean, then balance the chemicals?

2. I did run the vacuum for a little bit just to test it, and it appears to just blow all the dust/algae right back through the returns. Water levels are right at halfway up the skimmers, so I guess to go to waste I will need to add more water, any way to avoid this?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

If you can remove any of the sludge with a leaf net or big strong net, do so.

Once that is done (it'll murk up the water but that's ok) and you've gotten as much out of the pool as you think you can, go ahead and do a complete set of test results and post them up.

There are several ways to approach it but I think that will be best for your situation.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll help you understand some of the chemistry and probably prompt you to ask some questions.

You will be SLAMing your pool after you post the test results so read "SLAM" in the "How To" section up in Pool School, also.

Welcome Rob. When you get a chance, please add your pool specs to your signature so we know what you're playing with. :mrgreen:

I would start the pump, let it run for a half hour, get a full set of test results with the K2006, make any adjustments needed to the pH and or the CYA and SLAM the pool. :goodjob:

Alright guys, did some more cleaning. And also got my initial testing done, the results are interesting....

FC: 0
CC .5
PH: 7.3
TA: 80
CA: 0(Filled the test tube all the way up and could still see the dot clear as day)

I am thinking some chemical balancing, followed by a more thorough cleaning is in order.

Your numbers look good. Definitely get the CYA up to 30ppm and SLAM to 12ppm FC. Brush and sweep the pool and clean the filter after 25% pressure rise and watch the transformation! Post any and all questions and we'll be here to help. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update. I added cya today(put in a sock, shook it squeezed it and left in front of return) it all dissolved and my levels are now at 35. I also have been keeping my chlorine at 13-15 and things are slowly getting clearer. I will continue the SLAM tomorrow and of things start really clearing up, do another round of vacumming.

Do NOT let up on the SLAM until:

You lose less than 1ppm FC over night.
Your CC's are .5ppm or less.
Your water is crystal clear.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.