New pool. Need advice concerning chemicals.

B_TX

May 15, 2014
Texas
Please be gentle on me! I know there's a lot of info here but quite honestly haven't had much time to go thru it all. It's all quite confusing to me either way. Ha. I just bought a 10'x30" round frame pool. I saw at Wal-Mart their chemicals are numbered by steps. Are all those necessary for this size of pool? And should i use bleach rather than the chlorine tablets? I don't know anything about all this. I live in south TX so it gets pretty hot down here and the pool will be out in the open.

Welcome! :wave:

No, those numbered chemicals are not necessary. They're just repackaged overpriced stuff.
Bioguard Optimizer is just Borax. They sell it at a lot of grocery stores, Target, Costco, etc.
Stabilizer 100 is pure Cyanuric acid aka CYA. No different than anyone else's CYA, pool or hardware store.
Balance Pak 100 is Baking Soda. Grocery store, Costco, wherever. It's under 50¢/ lb. at Costco in a 14 lb sack.
Balance Pak 200 is Soda Ash aka Washing Soda. Harder to find than Borax in the laundry aisle, but available.
Balance Pak 300 Is Calcium Carbonate. Some ice-melt stuff is the same. You have a vinyl pool, so you will never need to raise Calcium, no matter what anyone's printout says.

There are two approaches: Get free testing and buy overpriced chemicals OR Invest in a good test kit and only add what your pool needs from the cheapest source possible with the least undesirable side-effects..

The test kit we recommend is the TF100. It's pricey, especially compared to what you paid for the whole pool package, but it's an investment. It'll last you the whole season, and probably partway into next year. This pool is just a stepping-stone. In a year or two you'll want something bigger. Especially after you have some practice maintaining it and see just how easy pool maintenace can be. I'm serious. A few minutes a day testing and maybe an hour a week brushing and vacuuming and the water with be crystal clear and sparkling the whole season long. People will comment on it - it might be the cleanest, least smelly pool they've ever been in, and no dry skin or burning eyes, either. You won't be ashamed or panicked if someone comes to the house and wants to see the pool.

Order a test kit.
Level the ground. Then level it again. That's the crucial part of an above-ground pool. By the time the pool is up and filled, you'll have the test kit, you'll dump in what it needs, and there will be no looking back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.