Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused

I have a 20,000 in ground pool with a dual speed pump, UV ozonator and 3" tab inline chlorinator. Pool is 4 weeks old today.

I am starting to get how to maintain the pool, but have a question about the difference between the chlorinator and adding chlorine. Should I maintain the chlorine levels using the chlorinator or by adding liquid chlorine?

Thanks for the help
    Southern California/sun all day
    26k gal/in-ground plaster/jacuzzi spillway
    dual speed 1.5/2.5 Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    UV Ozonator
    Inline Chlorinator
    Wife in bikini and Margarita maker

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused

Hi
    Here are a couple links to the pool school, which should help explain the difference between liquid chlorine and tabs

http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ..._chlorine_pool

http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ..._chlorine_pool

You can use tabs for a little while, to build up your CYA to the level you want, but continued use will lead to problems.

Randy
    25,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 200k BTU H200FDN gas heater, Pentair CCP520 520 sq ft Cart filter, Max-Flo VS2303VSP pump. iWave wireless remote,

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Hayward H200FDN heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info on the chlorine pool school. I didn't realize the diff types of chlorine could have diff affects. Right now I have been using mainly liquid chlorine to get level up. I also have a floater with pucks in it right now. I will have to keep an eye on the CYA level. Also, we have the powdered "shock it" type stuff.

I believe we will stick with the liquid chlorine for a while.

One question....our pool store is out of "conditioner" and said they won't get anymore till next year?? This sounds odd. Any suggestions on what I should do if I need more CYA??

Aramei
    28' above ground pool
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Try Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's and look for stabilizer or conditioner, but most importantly look for the ingredient cyanuric acid.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

If the powdered shock you have is dichlor (not cal-hypo) it also has cyanuric acid (stabilizer, conditioner) in it. Look and see if it says stabilized on it. Also, I can't remember the full name of dichlor, but see if the name of the product has dichlor as part of the name.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I also found CYA at K-Mart the other day, of all places. Aqua-Chem brand, labeled as stabilizer.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, thanks for the info, so the obvious question is why does my pool builder tell me that i should refill the chlorinator with pucks every week as well as add liquid chlorine? should I be phasing out the chlorinator use?

Also, My CC levels have stayed at 0 since i filled the pool up, i am told that an ozone system will keep CC way down. Do I need to shock the pool ever if my CC levels are null all the time?
    Southern California/sun all day
    26k gal/in-ground plaster/jacuzzi spillway
    dual speed 1.5/2.5 Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    UV Ozonator
    Inline Chlorinator
    Wife in bikini and Margarita maker

8. Back To Top    #8

Get a good test kit! Either a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100, then you won't have to listen to your PB, you will KNOW what your pool needs without exception.

Also, the Pool School offers invaluable information if you have not yet seen it.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    Ok, thanks for the info, so the obvious question is why does my pool builder tell me that i should refill the chlorinator with pucks every week as well as add liquid chlorine? should I be phasing out the chlorinator use?

Also, My CC levels have stayed at 0 since i filled the pool up, i am told that an ozone system will keep CC way down. Do I need to shock the pool ever if my CC levels are null all the time?
    Hey there....

No, a properly balanced and maintained pool does not require routine shocking. Shock your pool if your cc's climb above .5.

You don't need to use the pucks. Who knows why he told you that. They raise your CYA (read about that, it's important) and lower your PH. It's fine to use the auto chlorinator when you are going on vacation or something like that. A bit of bleach each day or every other day is all that's required as far as chlorine. I usually go for the "target" level, adding bleach every other evening, never letting the chlorine go below the "minimum" - I test every day with the OTO test to make sure my target/minimum levels are there.

Auto chlorinators work for some people, people who have a problem with high ph from a source of aeration, for example, people who need the convience, and people who do keep an eye on CYA so it doesn't get too high. CYA can occasionally be monitored and kept in range with frequent backwashing on the filter. If your filter is backwashed. My cartridge filter is not backwashed and I had problems resulting from CYA 100+ for several years.

Hope this helps.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com