Solar bypass valve placement

I just installed a 1 HP, 2 speed Pentair Whisperflo.....I run it on low speed for circulation and filtering. I installed a relay onto my solar controller so that when heat is demanded , and the diverter valve directs water to the roof the pump is switched to high speed.
The problem is that it is overpressurizing the panels and has blown a couple of fittings off. Low speed isn't enough to run the panels effectively so I need to install a bypass line.
My question is where is the best place to install the bypass? I have seen drawings where they have it installed after the check valve at the filter but before the electric diverter valve...this doesn't make alot of sense to me as it would decrease the flow when the panels are off....I was thinking it should be installed after the diverter valve on the supply line to the panels so that it only bypasses in "heating mode".

I was also thinking of installing a check valve on the return line from the panels because it's "backfeeding" (pressurizing) the panels when I run the pump on high speed for vacuuming.

Any input is appreciated.

It might be easier to just not turn the solar valve as far where it closes off the other pipe.

I am not surprised since that is a big pump which moves a lot more water than mine does.

And yes there should be a check valve on the solar return.

If you read the manual, the electric diverter valve probably has a couple adjustable cams on the inside to let you adjust the stop points. Move them so solar gets only a partial flow, with the remaining flow continuing through the main line.

And yes, you need a check valve.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.