Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar bypass valve placement

1. Back To Top    #1

Chilliwack, BC, Canada

Solar bypass valve placement

I just installed a 1 HP, 2 speed Pentair Whisperflo.....I run it on low speed for circulation and filtering. I installed a relay onto my solar controller so that when heat is demanded , and the diverter valve directs water to the roof the pump is switched to high speed.
    The problem is that it is overpressurizing the panels and has blown a couple of fittings off. Low speed isn't enough to run the panels effectively so I need to install a bypass line.
    My question is where is the best place to install the bypass? I have seen drawings where they have it installed after the check valve at the filter but before the electric diverter valve...this doesn't make alot of sense to me as it would decrease the flow when the panels are off....I was thinking it should be installed after the diverter valve on the supply line to the panels so that it only bypasses in "heating mode".

I was also thinking of installing a check valve on the return line from the panels because it's "backfeeding" (pressurizing) the panels when I run the pump on high speed for vacuuming.

Any input is appreciated.
    16x32 Vinyl inground pool, 9-4'x10' solar panels, sand filter, Taylor K-2006 kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar bypass valve placement

It might be easier to just not turn the solar valve as far where it closes off the other pipe.

I am not surprised since that is a big pump which moves a lot more water than mine does.

And yes there should be a check valve on the solar return.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Fayetteville, NY

Re: Solar bypass valve placement

If you read the manual, the electric diverter valve probably has a couple adjustable cams on the inside to let you adjust the stop points. Move them so solar gets only a partial flow, with the remaining flow continuing through the main line.

And yes, you need a check valve.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100