Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cyanuric acid vs Isocyanuric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

cyanuric acid vs Isocyanuric acid

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two acids? The Isocyanuric acid is sold at Menards. It's cheaper than Leslie's acid.
    Their MSDS shows:
    1,3,5 Triazine-2,4,6 (1H, 3H, 5H)-trione
    (Isocyanuric acid)(CAS #108-80-5)

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: cyanuric acid vs Isocyanuric acid

That's just the IUPAC name for cyanuric acid so there's no difference between them. Get whatever is cheaper so long as the concentration is the same. Just be a little careful in that some brands that came from China have been found to not have pure CYA in them, but it's been a while since I've heard about such problems.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

If the product from Menards is 100 % and for pools, it's ok to use. Isocyanuric acid is just another name for cyanuric acid.

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Other names for Cyanuric acid are:

1,3,5-Triazinetriol; s-Triazinetriol; 1,3,5-Triazine-2,4,6(1H,3H,5H)-trione; s-Triazinetrione; Tricarbimide; Isocyanuric acid; Seudocyanuric acid (Thank you wikipedia)

I think they do that so you can't see that you're getting the exact same chemical for less somewhere else.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!