TF100 Test Kit - First Result

I'm sure it's been suggested and probably answered... Have you checked behind your lights?

If yes, have you cleaned your filter?

There is something in there the bleach is consuming, just have to find it.

I drained my filter last night, took the head off to take a look. I scraped about an 1/8 to 1/4 layer of oily gunk off the top of the sand. I dug around in it to feel for any larger clumps. Made the mistake of letting the pump fill the filter back up. Should have used a hose. Ended up with about 5 pounds of sand in my pool. However, pump pressure dropped 2 lbs. and my OCLT was a loss of 3. Closer....

Decided to do a chemical clean on the filter sand this weekend. After backwashing, I tried to turn my multiport valve and it was jammed with sand that had gotten into the pool. Long story short, pool basically sat idle from about 10 am Sat. through 8 pm. Sunday. I checked the FC and it was 9. So, according to pool math, I added the 4.5 gallons to get me to slam(28). I didn't bother checking FC again assuming that I would fail the OCLT. I checked the FC this morning.....31?!? i supposed that was a good thing(not much loss), but was my dollar general bleach stronger than the 8.25 % label?

Still slaming, brushing, vacuuming, backswashing, chemically cleaning sand, and refilling my pool(twice, from backwashing). After 85 Gallons of bleach, still have an OCLT of 3. Could it be in my lines?

And bought a Tf-100 and 2 xl kits(ordering 2nd one today.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest numbers

FC 8.5
CC 0
CH 125
TA 140
pH 7.2
CYA 70

Pool Math says I would need to replace 43% of my water to get down to a CYA of 40. Currently CYA chart says target FC is 8 versus 5. I know I can only test FC using FAS/DPD. Any thoughts?

Does this mean you're done with the SLAM?

You seem to have grasped the FC/CYA relationship. :goodjob:

If you want to maintain the pool at 100 CYA, it can be done, although you've already spotted the difficulty with the FC test. You can lower CYA now, or do it in stages by using pool water on the lawn and refilling the pool with the water you would have used on irrigation. CYA won't hurt the lawn at all. It's your call. I maintained my pool the first season with astronomical CYA and I don't recommend it, but it certainly can be done. Once you are able to just do the quick check using the colormatching, life gets a lot easier.

Love being able to color match test daily... but also hate it. It's much quicker and easier but I tend to doubt my match. Is it 3.5? 4? 4.5? I'll probably get more comfortable with it eventually. Need to find a good backlight to make it easier.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I honestly didn't confirm the slam was finished with a test. My last OCLT was 2 and I ran out of reagents. I continued to keep the levels up that day(by guessing), then began the drift the next morning. That was last Thursday. When I got my reagents on Monday, my FC was at 11. It was a sunny weekend with lots of bather load. You can see my numbers above from Tuesday. Since Tuesday, I've been adding 50-60 ounces of bleach at sunset(Is that about right??). My 24 hour losses have been between 1.5 and 2.5. Been overcast with a little rain all week. Keeping a log to see if that pattern remains. Looking hard at the Stenner pump idea.

As far as the cya and lowering it, I'm trying to do the math and see if it's worth it. Local water hauling is about $ 19 per 1000 gallons. So, that would be about $ 150. That would be equal to 50 gallons of bleach. I don't have a problem doing the fas/dpd test, but agree that color matching would be easier.

How do my other numbers look?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.