Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE580 filter retaining ring

1. Back To Top    #1

DE580 filter retaining ring

I went to disassemble my filter system today to clean everything (first time) and found my retaining ring broken at the welds.

http://www.poolcenter.com/p/del-48-60 part #26 of this diagram.

It seems all my local pool shops this is special order, can I run without this temporarily?

Whoops.. topic should be CL580.
    13,000 gallons w/ spa (in-ground) | Plaster pool surface
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE580 filter retaining ring

I would not think that creating a pressure vessel without a part called a "retaining ring" would be a good idea ... although from the picture I can not determine its purpose.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It goes on the inside of the bottom half of the filter chamber. Presumably to keep the body round and disallow you from tightening the clamp too much.

Given that it was broken and the system running, I'm curious if I can get away without it for a little while.

Here's a stock photo I found with the ring "Installed"

2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

4. Back To Top    #4

Where is it located in the filter?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, well up to you. My Hayward does not have that part, but presumably the chamber is designed differently.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I got a new retaining ring on order. Sounds like the pool might be out of order for a few days.

6. Back To Top    #6

You shouldn't run it without but you can make it work. Let me guess...the four rivets corroded out and it just fell out of position into the bottom half of the filter when you took it apart? The rivets don't really do much other than just holding it in place. You can place the ring ends together to form a circle then press down into the bottom half so the top edge is flush with the top lip of the filter body.

The diameter of the bottom half of the filter should keep enough tension to keep the ring ends together.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by UN1017 View Post
    You shouldn't run it without but you can make it work. Let me guess...the four rivets corroded out and it just fell out of position into the bottom half of the filter when you took it apart? The rivets don't really do much other than just holding it in place. You can place the ring ends together to form a circle then press down into the bottom half so the top edge is flush with the top lip of the filter body.

The diameter of the bottom half of the filter should keep enough tension to keep the ring ends together.
    Precisely.

I tried to get the ring to stay in but it just falls down into the filter housing now. Not enough tension without the clamp in place.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hmmm.....

Maybe your ring is different than mine but after a second look, I realized the rivets were not holding the ring ends together but were there to secure the ring to the plastic housing. The ring ends should NOT overlap when installed. It's kinda tricky to manipulate it but there should be enough tension to hold it. If not, I guess you can wait for the new one.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by UN1017 View Post
    Hmmm.....

Maybe your ring is different than mine but after a second look, I realized the rivets were not holding the ring ends together but were there to secure the ring to the plastic housing. The ring ends should NOT overlap when installed. It's kinda tricky to manipulate it but there should be enough tension to hold it. If not, I guess you can wait for the new one.
    How do the rivets secure the ring to the plastic housing? Just by giving the ring a little more width at the back end to provide extra tension against the housing? I don't see anywhere in the housing where the rivets would have 'held' the ring in place.

10. Back To Top    #10

ok I got the ring back in there after fighting with it and got the clamp back on. i had a slow leak on the back side of the clamp so i shut it all down
    and removed the clamp again and popped the thing open again and the retaining ring was just laying in the bottom again. So evidently I'll have to wait for a new ring.

Also my pump basket had a big air bubble in it I couldn't get rid of.