Is there a way to automate a Pentair Superflo 2-speed?

I am shopping for a pump to replace a very old single speed that quit. My preference is a Pentair Superflo 2-speed, 1 HP. I was told by Pentair support that the speed on the pump is changed by a switch on the back of the motor. Since I want to run the pump at both speeds everyday, I want to be able to do that automatically via a timer or something else. Is there a way to do this? If I have to manually do this every day, I would rather spend the extra money ($300) and buy the Superflo VS. Any help is appreciated.

Ben

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sure you can use a timer or an automation system to change the speeds for you ... although it is not typically required. Why do you think you need both speeds everyday?

Just note that those smaller VS pumps can not be well integrated into an automation system to have speed control.

Well, yes and no. The Pentair Superflo VS normally starts at one speed (which you can configure), runs at that speed for some time (which you can configure), and then switches to another speed (which you can configure). So there is some timing, but not what I would call a real timer, you still need an external timer/automation system for it to work. There is also way to hook it up to an automation system and get more control.

The two speed version of the pump comes with a manual switch, but you can easily re-wire it to have the speed controlled externally by an automation system.

I am not clear on why you want to have automated control over the speed. Nothing in your list of pool features requires you to use high speed at any time other than when priming the pump, vacuuming, or backwashing, all of which you will be standing right next to the switch for anyway. There is no need to run the main pump on high for a cleaner when you also have a booster pump.

Low speed is great for day to day circulation. There is no reason to run faster for routine operation. You need high speed for things like solar panels and pool cleaners that run off the main pump, but not for plain old circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.