Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temperature Effect???

1. Back To Top    #1

Temperature Effect???

What effect does temperature have on all of this chemistry? Being new to the DIY BBB method and being an environmental engineer, I know that temperature has effects on all types of water chemistry, but I'm not well versed on pool chemistry.
    Pool Type/Size: Inground Vinyl ~24,000 gal ~ 18' x 36'
    Filter Type: Pentair FNS Plus 36 - DE Filter
    Pump: Pentair Challenger - 1.5 hp
    Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 250K BTU
    Accessories: Hayward AquaRite SWG Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Temperature Effect???

Temperature has all kinds of effects, but very few of them are significant in outdoor pools. The main issues are that chlorine demand is higher at higher temperatures and pump run time needs to be longer at higher temperatures. Oh, and of course temperatures below freezing can be a problem if you haven't winterized properly
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What is considered higher temps? My pool runs around 78-82 deg F. I'm assuming that the pool calc and other charts here are designed for at least a temp range between 75-85, maybe even greater?
    Pool Type/Size: Inground Vinyl ~24,000 gal ~ 18' x 36'
    Filter Type: Pentair FNS Plus 36 - DE Filter
    Pump: Pentair Challenger - 1.5 hp
    Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 250K BTU
    Accessories: Hayward AquaRite SWG Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

All the calculators and charts are good from about 50 to 105 degrees, perhaps a little more. At higher temperatures within that range your FC level will tend to fall more quickly. The FC level you are aiming for remains the same at different temperatures as does the amount of bleach needed to change the level by a specific amount.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason - I'm a bit surprised to see that you didn't mention that temperature has an effect on CSI.

Ron
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

6. Back To Top    #6

Temperature changes the PH and has a direct effect on the CSI. The two effects happen to more or less cancel out, the indirect change of the CSI from the PH shift is opposite to the direct effect on the CSI. Unless you are holding the PH steady, relatively unlikely at low temperatures, you don't normally need to worry about it.

There are many small effects like that. Thinking about them can be entertaining for some people, but normally there is no need to know anything about them.

7. Back To Top    #7

I googled temp effect on CSI and came up with this post. I use Pool Calculator app and
    measure both CSI in pool at 68 degrees and hot tab at 102 degrees
    Assuming pH at 7.8, TA at 80. Borates and CYA both at 40, CsI changes
    from .1 at lower temp to .39 at higher temp

Why?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Thinking about them can be entertaining for some people, but normally there is no need to know anything about them.
    Well said, JasonLion. The methods we teach here are intended to simplify pool water management......not make it so complex the average pool owner loses interest.

CSI is a case in point. If you keep the five parameters we test for within the guidelines we suggest, there is virtually NEVER any need to calculate CSI. I am moving this discussion to The Deep End as it is of little interest to the average pool owner and not pertinent to the successful management of your pool water.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Calcium carbonate is less soluble at higher temperatures so conversely at higher temperatures the same concentrations of chemicals in the water imply a higher level of calcium carbonate saturation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"