Hot tub water level dropping (hot tub + pool connected)

May 14, 2014
Houston, TX
Hello!
I am looking at getting rid of my pool guy and doing the work myself.
One of the first things I want to address is the water level in the hot tub drops when the pumps are off. This was not always the case - it has been happening for the past few months.
The pool guy is no help (one of the reasons I am ditching them!) so I am hoping someone on here might give me some pointers on troubleshooting the problem.
Thanks!!
Nick

Welcome to TFP!

Usually this is because of a bad or clogged check valve on tub spa return line. Hopefully you have the kind of check valve that can be opened and serviced.

There is also a small chance that it is instead a problem with one of the three way valves that switch between pool and spa mode, though this is much less likely.

Thanks for the swift reply Jason.
The first thing I need to do is identify all the components in the system and get a schematic drawn up so I can figure out what's what....is there an easy way to identify this check valve?
Also, any idea where's a good place to look for "common" pool/spa schematics drawings so I can have a baseline to work from?

We have the pool with two sets of fountains and the hot tub so there a few more lines than shown here, and like you said they are all different, so yes, when I get time I will take some time to figure out what I can then post my thoughts for you guys to look at and give me your thoughts.
Looks like I stumbled on a great resource here at TFP!! Thanks again Jason!

Would also help if you could describe any elevation differences between pool equipment, spa and main pool - if the spa is higher than the main pool, you could be seeing a siphon effect if all the equipment valves aren't internally "tight"

Mine does the same thing. I've narrowed it down to the Jandy Valve directly after the in-line Chlorinator since I cant locate a check valve. If I leave that open after the pumps shut off it will drain to pool level(normal hot tub water level is ~1ft above pool level). If I close it then the hot tub only drains a few inches. Anybody else have any ideas? I have an old blower that doesn't work and the pvc fitting will rotate on the Hartford Loop. Could this cause air to create a siphoning effect? I have a new one but haven't had a chance to install yet.

*first time pool owner, less than 1 month*

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.