Newbie to TFP - Opening help

May 12, 2014
Louisville, KY
Hello all! We moved in a new house several months ago that has an above ground (oval) pool. It is x and has a Hayward pump and cartridge filter. It appears that the previous owner used the mineral pack/chlorine cartridge combo (money pit) that I used at our last house.

I have been lurking here for about a year and am excited to switch to the TFP method. I have read pool school and just bought my Leslie's FST-DPD kit today. I also have stocked up on bleach from Walmart.

I started the pool filter last night and started to vacuum some of the green algae off the floor and scrub the walls down (the water appears cloudy but otherwise clear). Today, even though it has been raining all day the pool looks much better. It is actually a blue color and the walls appear clean for the most part. I tested the water today and here are the results:

FC 0.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.0
TA 50
CH 80
CYA - Too much to measure, I would estimate around 150

I am unsure where to go from here. I know that the CYA is too high and don't want to start anything if I am going to have to drain part of the water to lower it. If it makes any difference I decided to check the chlorine dispenser earlier and found that it had a new cartridge in it apparently left by the last owner. I was unsure of whether I should remove that or just let it run out. I am also wondering if I need to balance the pool first even if I need to drain part of it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Attached is a picture of the CYA test.
2enudyga.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yank that chlorine dispenser out and start replacing water to get that CYA back to a reasonable range ... then retest everything and start from there.

If you want a ballpark figure on what you're real CYA is, just dilute the pool water with tap water 50/50 first, then test. Tap water should have 0 CYA but then you can test and maybe get a number below 100 and know how much water to replace before attempting to test again. You're adding some uncertainty by diluting but it will give you a closer ballpark number of where it's at.

Welcome to TFP.

When you start to drain, go to just below the skimmer or return and refill, circulate the water and test it again and if it's still high, repeat the steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The. CYA is now 50! Do I just start adding the chemicals from the calculator? Any certain order?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Post a set of test results and we can tell you. Don't just go by what poolmath says. Because some chemicals affect other levels and it doesn't account for that. You'll end up with a shopping list not unlike what the pool store hands you. Minus the phosfree.

You KNOW you need to keep FC in there all the time, so you can start there.

Here is what I have this morning. Pool looks crystal clear, filter is clean, walls and floor were scrubbed. Yesterday was the first time anyone has been in it. We had about 10 people in the pool for 4-5 hours. The following is a before and after test. I was just curious if that is a normal chlorine loss for one day and that much use?

Before: (Yesterday morning)

FC: 6.0
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.6
TA: 110
CH: 90
CYA: Rechecked and it actually around 60-65

After (This morning)

FC: 1.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.6
TA: 110
CH: 90
CYA: Rechecked and it actually around 60-65

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.