Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to TFP - Opening help

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie to TFP - Opening help

Hello all! We moved in a new house several months ago that has an above ground (oval) pool. It is x and has a Hayward pump and cartridge filter. It appears that the previous owner used the mineral pack/chlorine cartridge combo (money pit) that I used at our last house.

I have been lurking here for about a year and am excited to switch to the TFP method. I have read pool school and just bought my Leslie's FST-DPD kit today. I also have stocked up on bleach from Walmart.

I started the pool filter last night and started to vacuum some of the green algae off the floor and scrub the walls down (the water appears cloudy but otherwise clear). Today, even though it has been raining all day the pool looks much better. It is actually a blue color and the walls appear clean for the most part. I tested the water today and here are the results:

FC 0.5
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.0
    TA 50
    CH 80
    CYA - Too much to measure, I would estimate around 150

I am unsure where to go from here. I know that the CYA is too high and don't want to start anything if I am going to have to drain part of the water to lower it. If it makes any difference I decided to check the chlorine dispenser earlier and found that it had a new cartridge in it apparently left by the last owner. I was unsure of whether I should remove that or just let it run out. I am also wondering if I need to balance the pool first even if I need to drain part of it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Attached is a picture of the CYA test.

21x43 Above Ground Vinyl, Hayward Voyager Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie to TFP - Opening help

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yank that chlorine dispenser out and start replacing water to get that CYA back to a reasonable range ... then retest everything and start from there.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome! Is there an amount of water to start with when it comes to replacing?

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want a ballpark figure on what you're real CYA is, just dilute the pool water with tap water 50/50 first, then test. Tap water should have 0 CYA but then you can test and maybe get a number below 100 and know how much water to replace before attempting to test again. You're adding some uncertainty by diluting but it will give you a closer ballpark number of where it's at.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't think my last reply went through. I tried diluting it but then came up with 40 on the test which didn't make any sense to me as it was so far from the 100 mark on the first test.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you doing the test outside in bright indirect light with the tube at your waist? Are you pouring it back and forth a few times to see if you are consistent?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

No...that I didn't do. I will retry it outside tomorrow when its not raining. Will that make a big difference?

8. Back To Top    #8

Lighting can make a pretty good difference.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP.

When you start to drain, go to just below the skimmer or return and refill, circulate the water and test it again and if it's still high, repeat the steps.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

OK. I am going to start that tomorrow. It has been raining non-stop here for days

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mich7088 View Post
    OK. I am going to start that tomorrow. It has been raining non-stop here for days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Take advantage of the rain! Replace the CYA-laden pool water with CYA-free, Calcium-free rainwater! Pump out the old stuff and aim a downspout at the pool to catch as much free stuff as possible!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

OK. Never thought about that! Thanks. I'll repost to this when I get it straight. Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

OK, I have replaced some water and gotten the CYA down to around 80. Does it need to be lower than that? Our pool is in full sun all day (no trees or obstructions)

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Assuming you are chlorinating without an SWG, then, yes, lower your CYA to 40-50 ppm CYA.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

The. CYA is now 50! Do I just start adding the chemicals from the calculator? Any certain order?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by mich7088 View Post
    The. CYA is now 50! Do I just start adding the chemicals from the calculator? Any certain order?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Post a set of test results and we can tell you. Don't just go by what poolmath says. Because some chemicals affect other levels and it doesn't account for that. You'll end up with a shopping list not unlike what the pool store hands you. Minus the phosfree.

You KNOW you need to keep FC in there all the time, so you can start there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

FC: 0
    PH: 7.0
    TA: 50
    CH: 80

18. Back To Top    #18

I have 2 bottles of "shock" that the previous owners left here. They are gallon bottles and are 10% sodium hypochlorite

19. Back To Top    #19

Get some chlorine in the pool, what they left is fine. Then raise the TA to about 70ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Here is what I have this morning. Pool looks crystal clear, filter is clean, walls and floor were scrubbed. Yesterday was the first time anyone has been in it. We had about 10 people in the pool for 4-5 hours. The following is a before and after test. I was just curious if that is a normal chlorine loss for one day and that much use?

Before: (Yesterday morning)

FC: 6.0
    CC: 0.5
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 110
    CH: 90
    CYA: Rechecked and it actually around 60-65

After (This morning)

FC: 1.5
    CC: 0.5
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 110