Replacing hard to reach drain plug on Pentair filter.

Jun 21, 2008
Hello. I have a Pentair FNS Plus 48 filter, these come with a drain plug in a cavity at the bottom

FNS_Plus_web.jpg

I never used it because the piping for inlet and outlet was left to close to it and there is no room for a wrench to turn. I usually put the valve in back wash, open the top air relief valve and water drains on its own.
Unfortunately the plug developed a big leak, water shoots out from it when the pump runs, so I need to replace it.
I imagine if I take the whole filter apart, which I'm going to do anyway for a thorough clean, I could try to undo the drain plug from inside.
Has anyone tried it? Any tips?

Thanks for the replies, and it is not about finding the part, I have the replacement part; it is about being able to reach to unscrew the damaged one and put the new one.
I can saw off, from the inside the old part, but screwing in properly the new one is still the challenge, since I'll face the same sitaution of not being able to use any tool, being blocked from the too close piping.
What I'm seeing is that the inlet and outlet feeds could be unscrewed, with the filter disassembled I could lift it off and do the work on a comfortable work bench, then put it all back together. I would post the pictures to explain better, but I cannot - out of thread but how do I go about requesting an increase to a 449KB picture limit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you take the whole filter apart to clean it, two more couplings will undo the plumbing and you ought to be able to just lift the emptied-out body out to where it's easier to work on.

The inside inlet pipe is positioned right above the drain plug and seems to be there to stay, glued, doesn't seem to have a thread. I'll check with Pentair, but it looks fixed...so I can see the top of the drain plug but it is blocked by the inlet pipe for pliers to work. Unscrewing the two large couplings that hold the body to the inlet and outlet piping seemed intimidating to me, but I may not have a choice.
Gear wrench does not work, blocked by the rest of the piping, there's not even enough room for the wrench to stay level and grab the plastic nut at the bottom of the plug.

Sucess! I took the advice of Richard320, uncouple the outlet and inlet couplings (I used those rubber bands for opening stubborn jars) and lifted the empty body to the work bench. The drain plug was completely broken and separated from the thread into the bottom of the filter body, I had to saw, carefully the threaded part to take it out.
I sawed in, a millimeter into the threads of the filter body, sorry.
Replaced the plug, they re-designed them, now it could be possible to simply use your hand.
Anyway, re-assembled the body of the filter to the inlet/outlet piping and fired it up.
No leaks.

Off thread, I had to do all this in 104 degree weather in Southern California; but it feels pretty good to have solved it; thanks TFP Experts, and others!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.