Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cover keeps water warmer or cooler?

1. Back To Top    #1

cover keeps water warmer or cooler?

Outside temp now in 60s and 70s. Still have the cover on the pool (it is a black, pervious, safety cover).

Does having the cover on
    1) keep the water from warming up or
    2) promote the water warming up

ie
    1) take it off now to warm up the water or
    2) leave it on longer to warm up the water

thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cover keeps water warmer or cooler?

A covered pool warms up more than an uncovered pool. There are a few hours on calm (not windy) days when max sunlight shines directly on the pool when there is a slight advantage to uncovering the pool, but much of the day and all night you are better off with the cover on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you
    Will leave it on for a time.
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is our first season with a solar cover ( blue bubble wrap) and I'm gonna say covered keeps it warmer. Ours has been covered all the time except when we're swimming or cleaning, temp was 81 a few weekends ago. My friends inlaws pool of similar size and sun exposure was only 71. We saw temps up to 88 recently, now it's pouring rain and down to 81.
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't have an in ground pool but I think, with the pump and solar cover off, the sun warms my pool all the way through better than with the cover on and making the first several inches hot and the bottom 3 ft of water cold.

YMMV
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

From my previous setup where I only had a solar cover, it was the best, it let the sun's warmth in, blocked cooling evaporation and insulated from heat loss at night.

My current medium gray colored auto cover, does not allow the warming sunlight in and is a poor insulator for night time heat loss. It does limit evaporation. As Casey mentioned, it may give a little top surface warming, but most of my pool's depths remain frigid.

For me the best compromise is to uncover the pool during the day and close it at night, although that's only minimally better than leaving the cover closed all the time. I miss my solar cover!
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep it covered, however you should run your pump right around the time the hottest period of the day is over to circulate the warmer water with the colder water.
    ~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method