0 CYA level

Apr 30, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Realized today that my CYA level was 0. Shocked pool last night because of light brown patches along bottom of pool and floating in pool. Used 3 bottles of bleach and this morning pool was pretty clear. Added 6 lbs of Stabilizer and waited 2 hours. Levels are currently :

FC 15
CC 0
TA 140
PH 7.2

I am not sure if I can test CYA level since I only added it 2 hours ago. Is it safe to swim in a pool with such a high FC level?

I would not ... that FC level is higher than we would suggest for a pool with low CYA. We say it is safe to swim up to the SLAM level that is a function of your CYA. See the FC/CYA Chart

Once the CYA is dissolved it would likely be fine.

FYI, we do not "shock" pools. We recommend following the SLAM Process.

Thank you for responding so quickly! How long before the CYA is dissolved? I have been brushing the pool on and off for the last 2 hours to eliminate the white stabilizer granules on the bottom. The pool is currently 84 degrees and directly in the sun. Believe it or not, the FC level this morning at 6:00am was 19 and it dropped to 15 by 2:00pm.

I will not "shock" anymore! I will use the SLAM process from now on.

Three kids and a clear pool...gonna be hard to keep them out!! Thanks again!

Well, we also do not recommend putting the stabilizer directly in the water like that as it is acidic and can damage your pool. Keep brushing so they do not sit in one spot, you could vacuum them up into the filter.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

What CYA level were you targeting with the addition you made? Did you use PoolMath?

I used pool math for target CYA of 40. It said to add 9 lbs and I added 6 lbs because I figured it was better to put in less and add more if necessary. I brushed till my arms were sore and there is no longer any granules along the bottom of the pool.

I added the signature as you suggested. Thank you again. I will use a sock next time I need to add stabilizer. Definitely would have been MUCH easier!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.