Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water not clearing up as Expected

1. Back To Top    #1

Water not clearing up as Expected

OK started the SLAM process Sunday. It is now Wednesday water is still turquoise.

Each evening i make sure FC is 20ppm or higher based on my CYA tests prior to starting SLAM of 45. Each day i brush walls, vacuum bottom, clean filter.

Filter has been very green due to the initial Algae when i first started. After vacuum yesterday noticed in pump a lot of cedar pieces. Each morning before heading out to work i test water and FC has been 18ppm or higher. When i get home after work, it seems to have dropped to about 12ppm past couple of days.

I would have thought by now it would have cleared up??
    Located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100
    Artesian ~500gal Grand Gayman Island Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water not clearing up as Expected

Is your filter pressure climbing?
    What is your CC level?

It did not get green in a few days, so it likely will not take only a few days to clean.

Have faith and follow the process
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

my pressure gauge does not seem to be working since it has not moved, but i clean the filter at least once a day and the pressure coming out of return seems good and strong.

CC seems to be less than 1ppm
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Well a slightly dirty filter actually cleans better, so cleaning too often may not be helping.
    Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
    Are you running the pump 24/7?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Gauge is at zero all the time. Pump is running high 24/7 Filter is Cartridge, so thought it filters best and keeps pressure down when clean, not like sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you need a new gauge (or first check that the port in the filter is not clogged). No way it should always read zero. You should clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

A working psi gauge is essential to pool water management. Get yourself one and keep slamming the pool. Even if it takes longer than expected, there really is no choice but to review the SLAM article to make sure you are doing everything correct and then continue to do that. It will clear.......they always do unless people do not follow the instructions precisely. It sounds like you are, you just need more time.

Now go buy that gauge!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

dropping to 12 is well below slam levels
    you need to maintain at least 18 at all times
    imo
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe you can bump your FC a little higher than your SLAM level before work to account for the amount that it is dropping during the day? I don't think there is any way around it taking longer for someone who can't babysit the FC during the day at the beginning.

Experts, if outdoor has to be at work during the day how high can they go with the FC before work to try to "make up" for it? I'm sure dropping to 12 every day is not helping the progress...
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

I opened my pool to algae this year. My pool turned milky blue within a few days but it actually took 14 days untill it was totally clear. Have faith and follow SLAM it will happen. (providing your pump and filter is working properly.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

how high can they go with the FC before work to try to "make up" for it? I'm sure dropping to 12 every day is not helping the progress...
    The problem with that is setting a standard. OP's suggested level is 20 ppm so if we say 22 is ok, then why not 25, if 25 and OP is in a real hurry (most always are), then why not 30? etc. etc.

We know from chem geek's help that 20 is safe so that's our standard. To suggest more than that detracts from the standard that we are comfortable with. and OP can certainly put in any amount he wants (and many do ) but if we say a little more is OK, then there is no end.

Secondly, we know that 20 ppm will work....even if you can only obtain that level twice daily. So, if you are away during the day, bring it to 20 in the AM and then again in the evening.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Ahhh, and that's why we ask the experts! I didn't realize that twice a day would definitely do it. Although I figured it might, just a bit longer timeline.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

There is no more particles accumalting in filter or pump, i've kept clorine at above 18ppm for CYA of 45, still not clearing up. This seems way too long 7 days......

14. Back To Top    #14

7 days is not way too long in the grand scheme of things. Patience is key when clearing a green pool. What kind of junk is on the bottom of the pool?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

nothing is on bottom