Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding boric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding boric acid

ok just to be certain, what I ordered is granular boric acid white crystals 99.9 % pure. This is the right stuff yes?? I actually ordered 2 25 lb bags.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Borates!

Yes, that is the right stuff and the granular is better to use than the powdered since powder tends to sit on the surface of the water. I just added some granular to my pool to get the borates back up to 50 ppm and it almost all sinks and it dissolves quickly with just a little sweeping needed.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Yes, that is the right stuff and the granular is better to use than the powdered since powder tends to sit on the surface of the water. I just added some granular to my pool to get the borates back up to 50 ppm and it almost all sinks and it dissolves quickly with just a little sweeping needed.
    Thanks!!
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

4. Back To Top    #4

I am hoping to add my boric acid tomoorow. Could someone tell me exactly where my TA and PH need to be BEFORE I add. I read back thru the thread on borates but not sure if the same rules apply when your using boric acid vs muratic acid and borates.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

PH can be anywhere in the normal range. 7.5 to 7.8 is fine.

It is good to have TA down near the low end of the range, say 60 or perhaps 70, though this is not absolutely essential.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Adding boric acid

This is what I have also ordered from amazon, the 25 LB version, works very well