Pitfalls of installing a Hayward heater

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
Today the new Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU natural gas heater arrived and I plan to do all phases of the install myself, including the gas line and plumbing from the Hayward filter to the pool return. At this point I am NOT planning to use the solar panels ahead of the heater to supplement the heating process; I just don't have a good place to put them right now. If anyone else has experience with this operation and would like to share with me any cautionary tales before I embark, I would cetainly appreciate it ;-)

Electrical is very easy. The water plumbing is straight forward, just remember to use CPVC within about 18" from the heater. CPVC is more heat tolerant.

Gas plumbing can be very dangerous if you make a mistake, this is the one area I recommend hiring a professional.

like Jason said, straight forward, installed a hayward myself last year and very happy with it.

Gas: doable/be careful and lookup your local codes, also hayward will void warranty if you forget to connect a straight pipe into heater... see manual.

Pretty straight forward hookup. That is the one I use on my pool. I put unions on both sides of the water plumbing to allow being able to disconnect easier to drain in the winter. Mine is just a plug in unit so the power is easy. You may have to adjust the pressure switch setting some to get it to fire. Mine had an adjustable switch on it that was set to max and would not fire with the pump on the low setting and only on high with a freshly backwashed filter (sometimes)

I was told at least when running, it needs to be open above it, for at least 6' if not more. I have a heat pump though. Not sure if it's different from a conventional heater. So no shelter over the heat pump, but planning one over the rest of the equipment.

Do any of you cover or otherwise shelter your heaters outdoors?

Mine has sat on the equipment pad for at least 8 years now with no cover. I don't even cover it in the winter. One thing I did to it after a couple of years was to put a couple of Pressure treated shims under it to keep the sides of the heater off of the pad so water can dry out from under it after swimming and rain. I was noticing that water seemed to seep out from under mine after it rained and I was noticing a little corrosion at the bottom edge. These units are designed to be out in the elements. I have a bigger problem with spiders building nests and webs inside the unit more than anything.

You want to use CPVC for any PVC within about 1' or 2' of the heater (as the water flows). CPVC is heat resistant in a way that regular PVC is not. CPVC is often schedule 80, though there is no specific reason to use schedule 80. Schedule 40 is fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.