First post! Hello! (and a quick question)

Woof

Apr 28, 2014
Florence, AL
Hello everyone,
Joined several days ago and have been reading through the wealth of information on the site. Like many others I am glad I found it!

My question is: What is the best way to calculate my exact pool volume? We have a T-shaped SWG pool so it's multiple WxHxD. The pool store guy (that I have not visited since last season :wink:) told me it was 40,000 gallons. Can that be right?! I see many user signatures showing anywhere from ~10k to 25k am I thinking mine may be less than 40k. I'd just like to know what my actual volume is so I can use the Pool Math tool.

Here's a photo from last season:
vTxGTDr.jpg

Thanks for any help and glad to be here!

Welcome to TFP!
I would try to do the rectangle that goes left-right in your picture, then add the deep end to that. I bet you're pushing 40k gallons...looks like a nice big pool!

You can get a pretty good estimate by seeing what effect adding chemicals has...so, for example, you might add 3 bottles of bleach, see how much your FC goes up, then back-calculate the volume from that.

Thank you both.
Yes far side is deep end approx. 9ft deep. Shallow end is the same depth all the way across. Deep end starts to slope right at the two middle corners. I'll see if I can get an estimated volume this evening.

Thanks again

theres a calculator in pool math, just enter the two sets of measurements in there and add them together --you got it! use the shallow end depth say 3ft plus 9 =12 divide by two and the average depth of the deep end is 6 ft .

Thank you both.
Yes far side is deep end approx. 9ft deep. Shallow end is the same depth all the way across. Deep end starts to slope right at the two middle corners. I'll see if I can get an estimated volume this evening.

Thanks again

Man thats a great pool. I dig the T shaped ones.
On the deep end just use an average for the depth to account for the slope. Will be close enough
9 ft /2 = 4 1/2 should do it.

I just wanted to welcome you and tell you that is one amazing pool! :cool:

Well, according to my maths my pool is closer to 26k gl (where they got 40k is beyond me lol)

Shallow- 18' x 26' x 3' = 1,404 cu ft x 7.48 = 10,500 gl
Deep- 16' x 24' x 5.5' (avg) = 2,112 cu ft x 7.48 = 15,800 gl

10,500 + 15,800 = 26,300 gl + couple hundred for steps would put that around 26.5k. That sound right to you guys?

Also got my TF-100 in and currently showing:

FC 0
PH 6.something, hard to tell but it's below bottom reading :(
TA 10
CH 100
CYA 40

Drained and refilled about a foot of water due to high CYA last season. Pump is up and running and I want to get this started the TFP way this time!
It does not look like the photo above right now lol that's from last summer, water is green.

Pretty sure I should get pH in range and start the Slam. Ok to proceed at 40 CYA?

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pretty sure I should get pH in range and start the Slam. Ok to proceed at 40 CYA?
That is correct. DO NOT aerate to raise pH....you need to get pH into the mid 7's with a dose of 20 mule team borax.......it will also elevate your TA which needs to be up as well...aeration will not do that.

1. Elevate pH into mid 7's and TA at least 60 ppm. Elevate TA with baking soda if the 20 mule team doesn't raise it high enough.

Now you can start your SLAM with 40 CYA. FC should be at 16 ppm and kept there as often as possible.

That is correct. DO NOT aerate to raise pH....you need to get pH into the mid 7's with a dose of 20 mule team borax.......it will also elevate your TA which needs to be up as well...aeration will not do that.

1. Elevate pH into mid 7's and TA at least 60 ppm. Elevate TA with baking soda if the 20 mule team doesn't raise it high enough.

Now you can start your SLAM with 40 CYA. FC should be at 16 ppm and kept there as often as possible.

Will do. Thanks Dave!

Hi guys,
Currently SLAMming the pool. Everything is looking good except one issue. I overdosed my bleach last night doh! My slam level is 16 and have brought it to 20 a couple times. Well after adding 3 gallons, 3 quarts it brought me to 31.5 ppm! ouch! Good thing is I know what I did in PoolMath. I forgot to set the % to 8.25 / 121oz doses. It was defaulted to 6% | 96oz hence the overdose. Am I going to have problems with it being that high? I checked it this morning and it's at 23. I hope I haven't messed up! :pale:

Pic of when I started (day 1):

I9STmAe.jpg

Pic from today (day 6):

PmBA3lT.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.