Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Speed Pump Question

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Speed Pump Question

I have a 2 speed 2 hp Whisperflo pump that is acting weird and I'm hoping someone can help. The pump is controlled by an Aqualink RS if that matters.

I noticed Friday that the pump was running on low speed even though the Aqualink controller showed it was on high speed. I tried turning everything off then back on and still couldn't get high speed to turn on. All day Saturday the pump was "stuck" in low speed. Sunday morning I check and high speed is on as it is supposed to be. Everything seemed fine until last night when I couldn't get high speed on again.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it?
    14,000 gal IG + spa, DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS6, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 Speed Pump Question

All I can say is that the problem is probably with the Aqualink, or the wiring, and not the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you think it could be the 2 speed motor relay? Something like this? http://www.sunplay.com/Jandy-2-Speed...v8GIgW59PD_BwE
    14,000 gal IG + spa, DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS6, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the two speed relay is a good candidate to look at. Sometimes the contacts can stick together and be reluctant to switch to the other position.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

How do I unstick the contacts, if that is the issue?

6. Back To Top    #6

Relays are usually sealed, you have to replace the whole relay.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what I thought. Thanks for all the help Jason.