Thru wall skimmer location on intex

May 2, 2013
I've read intensively on the subject of installing the hayward wall skimmer. (Last year and again this year now I'm going to do the install)
I thought I'd read last year on tips or why to install "here" vs "here." ???
Most of the skimmer I see have been installed in the next "panel" over from the return. (Panel..I mean next section...so the small original spot is two panels or two sections iver from return)

So.....why is the skimmer being install in the next "panel" over? ....which is about 3-5 feet from the return.

Also....I have ..... (wished I could see my signature. ....lol) I think a 14 x 42. Just ordered the 2650 sand filter/pump. So goimg to install the wall skimmer. Now....with being a smaller pool vs what most I've seen with wall skimmer....this is what I'm thinking of doing?
Thinking if installing the skimmer higher. Want to install skimmer as high as possible to keep from losing water height/level.
So.. this would mean going about two inches into the gray in color part of liner. IMHO....I'm guessing the liner can handle it....the only issue that may be is leakage.....in then if so....caulking the skimmer if needed??

What's your all's opinion here??

The pool is on it's 2nd season and I doubt we will get a third year. Metal is rusting....plus kids will be ready for a bigger pool.

Most people seem to go as high as they can without actually cutting into the seam. It means the top screws go through that part but the actual opening is cut just below. Having a lower water level is the reason I haven't done it. My frame is 48" but the actual water depth is 42" and I just don't feel like going lower. Although I must admit right now after a few backwashes without refilling it's sitting about the depth it would be if I had the thru wall skimmer.

I don't think I've seen anyone who isn't happy with their skimmer even with the water level a bit lower.

If it were me, I wouldn't cut above the seam. Hopefully a few people who have them will help you out since I have only read about it. :)

P.S. I don't think caulking would work in the case of a leak...just my opinion uneducated as it may be. lol

........just had an idea!!!!!

What if......install the skimmer....under the seam....THEN install a winter plate that has been modified.
The plate would be cut out on the top area. This would keep the normal water height ....right???
....or would skimmer not work right????

Going back to your original post (I have no idea what a "winter plate" is) I put mine in the panel between the original outlet and return, above the "Intex" logo. I like this location because I get a full clockwise circulation from the return to the skimmer. I also kept the original outlet and plumbed it in with the skimmer, as my Hayward pump can suck a pretty wicked vortex if the water level drops much at all, and I can use the Intex outlet for my vacuum hose as the vacuum plate provided with the Hydro skimmer is complete ****. Mine is high enough that the top row of screws goes through the grey top apron but the cut is just below the seam. The Hydro comes with a two-piece gasket and I used silicone sealant between the outside gasket and the side of the pool.

I installed my skimmer as high as I could go without compromising the seam. Just a note tho, the instructions say to keep the water level between the two middle screws on each side of the faceplate. But, because of the curvature of the pool side the skimmer does not sit level. The back kicks up some. I do better with mine to keep the water level at or just above that top of those two. (Or top of the second screw from the top.) If I put the water level where they say, I get a little whirl pool and it sucks air into the line. All this to say, your water level will likely be just a little bit higher than you think. Not as high as with the over the wall skimmer but, the thru the wall won't get knocked whompy jawed when the water gets rough from kids playing.

I put mine directly above the old intake. No particular reason, other than I just figured if the old one worked there, the new one would too.

temporary_zps0c79bfe4.jpg

Going back to your original post (I have no idea what a "winter plate" is) I put mine in the panel between the original outlet and return, above the "Intex" logo. I like this location because I get a full clockwise circulation from the return to the skimmer. I also kept the original outlet and plumbed it in with the skimmer, as my Hayward pump can suck a pretty wicked vortex if the water level drops much at all, and I can use the Intex outlet for my vacuum hose as the vacuum plate provided with the Hydro skimmer is complete ****. Mine is high enough that the top row of screws goes through the grey top apron but the cut is just below the seam. The Hydro comes with a two-piece gasket and I used silicone sealant between the outside gasket and the side of the pool.

A "winter plate" is just a cover that goes over the skimmer to allow the water level to stay high and skimmer to be closed off. Of course fir winter months.

Your location is where I've seen most installed. I just wasn't sure if this could be to close. .....but this is where I will install. Love the idea of using the original intake too. For vacuum. Much easier. ....plus like you mentioned. ...if pump has a lot of pull. ...this should help.
Thanks

I installed my skimmer as high as I could go without compromising the seam. Just a note tho, the instructions say to keep the water level between the two middle screws on each side of the faceplate. But, because of the curvature of the pool side the skimmer does not sit level. The back kicks up some. I do better with mine to keep the water level at or just above that top of those two. (Or top of the second screw from the top.) If I put the water level where they say, I get a little whirl pool and it sucks air into the line. All this to say, your water level will likely be just a little bit higher than you think. Not as high as with the over the wall skimmer but, the thru the wall won't get knocked whompy jawed when the water gets rough from kids playing.

Lol....and ok....makes since....plus I feel better now knowing what you've explained....thanks

I put mine directly above the old intake. No particular reason, other than I just figured if the old one worked there, the new one would too.

temporary_zps0c79bfe4.jpg

Thanks for the pic.

I've seen some where they install where the top two screws go into the gray....or above the seam. The cut out is still under the seam.
This is what I will probably do.
;)

I just installed the skimmer. I made the mistake of installing the inflow hose too high given the required drop in water level for the skimmer. I have water almost 3/4 if the way up (well past the mid screws mark). The inflow if just below the water and when aimed away from the skimmer creates a strong circular current. This current seems yo float the surface debris away from the skimmer. What can I do?

Oh, I installed my skimmer in the panel between the one with the original intake and the one with the original return because that's where my hoses would reach to . My pump and filter are right there. Didn't make sense at the time to place the skimmer anyplace else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yaniv, that's an excellent pictorial, but cutting the gasket is unnecessary.... If you don't want to drain the pool its the option to go with, but if you drain the pool leave the gasket intact... It gives a better seal on the inside and outside of the liner......

Yaniv, that's an excellent pictorial, but cutting the gasket is unnecessary.... If you don't want to drain the pool its the option to go with, but if you drain the pool leave the gasket intact... It gives a better seal on the inside and outside of the liner......

All credit should go to HacoboPablo who made that pictorial, but you do have a good point. if i would have done it i would probably buy another gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.