New Pool, New Test Kit, Summer come get us...

Jan 5, 2014
McKinney, TX
New to TFP and have quickly learned the inaccuracies and deception of the the local pool store. Our new pool was completed in April and we have been working with the pool builder about the quartz finish and splotchy white spots throughout the finish. They have agreed to complete an acid bath in the next couple weeks as the kids were excited to have the pool and telling them they couldn't get in was not going to happen.

I received my new TF-100 last week, pool is clear but I am concerned as my CH level continues to climb. I am currently using the 3" Trichlor tablets, as I have a 50lb pail of them at this point, but will be looking to use the BBB method once all these chemicals get used up.

Test of 5/9
PH 7.6
FC 4
CC 0.5
TC 4.5
TA 80
CH 475
CYA 35

1.03" of rain between tests & 30 oz. of Shock (Pool became foggy after the rain and all the Oak Worms that fell into the pool)

Test of 5/13
PH 7.5
FC 4
CC 0.5
TC 4.5
TA 90
CH 525
CYA 30

Should I be concerned that the CH is high and climbing?

Thanks

CH might be testing error. There isn't any in rainwater, so unless your fill water is hard, I can't think of an explanation.

There's no reason to "use up" the dry chlorine products. As long as you keep them dry, they'll pretty much last forever, and you can save them for vacations (or for when your CYA needs to be bumped up).

Welcome to the forum.

Keep your pH down to 7.2 - 7.5. That will minimize any scaling issues with your high CH I would monitor it monthly and, depending on CH of fill water, do a partial replacement when CH goes over 600.

I plugged some numbers into PoolMath -- it suggests that once you finish using the 50 pound pail of tabs your CYA will be close to 200, which is much too high. Is it fair to say that Sledgeek should *stop* using the tabs almost immediately, particularly if there is a desire to keep using them on vacations ?

I plugged some numbers into PoolMath -- it suggests that once you finish using the 50 pound pail of tabs your CYA will be close to 200, which is much too high. Is it fair to say that Sledgeek should *stop* using the tabs almost immediately, particularly if there is a desire to keep using them on vacations ?

I hadn't thought to calculate the effect of the entire bucket on the CYA values. However I would also then need to consider that 1 years of rainfall (~40") may turnover approximately 67% of my pool, depending if I kept the pool full before every storm, and then would drive down the CYA and CH value.

I have been watching PH very close. The first month with the new pool we were adding Muriatic Acid on a daily basis. It seems to have stabilized after about 6 weeks.

However I would also then need to consider that 1 years of rainfall (~40") may turnover approximately 67% of my pool, depending if I kept the pool full before every storm, and then would drive down the CYA and CH value.

Yep, good point. How does that usually work with pools, do you need to manually drain off water to make room for the next rainfall and prevent overflow (since any overflow would mostly be nice new CYA-free rainwater) ? Evaporation takes the water level down but doesn't help to reduce your CYA, of course... I'm trying to remember if any of the pool owners I know have ever had to remove water to keep the level down.

Anyways, mostly wanted to make sure it was clear that the FC from the tabs gets used up quickly but the CYA stays until the water is replaced one way or another. Sounds like you're way ahead of that.

I should start uncovering my hot tub when it rains, it leaks just enough that typical rainfull would keep it topped up ;)

However I would also then need to consider that 1 years of rainfall (~40") may turnover approximately 67% of my pool, depending if I kept the pool full before every storm, and then would drive down the CYA and CH value.
Nope. It doesn't work like that unfortunately, unless you drain off pool water prior to the rain....then it will. Or unless you allowed an overflow condition which is a big no no.

Normal water level = CYA and CH 100 and 600

Pool evaporates 1" (5% say) = CYA 105 and CH 630

1" of rain into pool = CYA and CH 100 and 600

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.