initial setup for new variable speed pump?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Just got a new variable speed pump and installing tomorrow. It is a Sta-Rite IntelliPro (P6E6VS4H-209L). My water chemistry is in good shape and I'm looking for suggestions on an initial setup/cycles for the summer season, for example:

Cycle 1: 6AM - 7AM: 2500 RPM
Cycle 2: 7AM - 5PM: 1000 RPM
Etc...

Most of my detail in is my pool signature, but also notable that the pool gets plenty of direct sun and temps here will run between 80-100 all summer. I need to run the pool cleaner about 1 hour per day to clean up the bottom of the pool, but it runs on a separate booster pump and I usually run it early morning. I don't have any time of day electricity constraints as I pay across total tiers of kW used. Thanks for the help.

The first step is to find the lowest speed, but not lower than 1,000 RPM, where the skimmers work effectively. This is often 1,000 RPM, but do check to be sure. Then you want say two or three periods of two hours each spread around the clock at that speed. There is no value to running at a higher speed on a daily basis. You will want a higher speed for priming the pump and manual vacuuming, but that can be triggered manually.

Sounds good, I'l give it a shot at 1k RPM first to see how the skimming action is working then go from there. You think 6 hours a day (3 x 2 hours cycle each) should be a good starting point? Then flip on manually if swimming to keep things moving?

You can turn it on when swimming if you want, though that is not essential. Most pools are fine with four hours a day, six should be more than enough, though the number of hours does vary from pool to pool and there is a remote chance you will need more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.