Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 22x52 ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 22x52 ?

We have had a 24 x54 above ground pool for years well this year it failed and is beyond repair . So I bought a intex 22x52 pool (still in box ) I figure setup should be easy as the ground is already level and compacted
    My first question of many I'm sure is will my Hayward sand filter work with this pool ? Any extra parts I will need ? Should I use pavers under the legs ? I'm not against buying the intex sand filter and maybe even the salt water system . Just looking for advise from other intex users .
    Thank you for your time !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 22x52 ?

Definitely use pavers under the legs.

You can use a Hayward filter with that pool, but you will need appropriate hose adapters to connect to Intex fittings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Definitely use pavers under the legs.

You can use a Hayward filter with that pool, but you will need appropriate hose adapters to connect to Intex fittings.
    Jason ,
    Thank you for the reply ! I'm also going to be adding my solar heater . I assume the heater and salt water go on the return side just not sure about the order ?

4. Back To Top    #4

Heater before salt generator. Generator last.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Where I started where I am . Taking it down was the easy part ! Looks pretty level

6. Back To Top    #6

Any idea why the old one failed?

Before you assemble the new one on that pad, you might want to check to make sure it is still level.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Any idea why the old one failed?

Before you assemble the new one on that pad, you might want to check to make sure it is still level.
    Not 100% sure why it failed but we had ice damage 2 winters back replaced liner . Walls at that time had a few small wrinkles in them . The company who replaced the liner said it was worth a shot . This winter small hole again ( still thinking ice damage from the cake dropping ) patched those 2 small holes filled it up and held water fine for 2 weeks . Yesterday morning was sitting outside having a cup of coffee heard a pop and turned around to see it fold in and then a rush of water pool empty in 2-3 minutes tops ( something to see if you've never seen it ) hope you never do .
    Told my wife I'd never put another pool up was tired of it ! My little girl came down with that look on her face and said you can fix it can't you daddy ? So another pool it is !
    Was getting quotes on a replacement anywhere from 6-8 thousand and stumbled across the intex pool . I hope it gets the job done ! If I get 3-4 years out of it I will be pleased . Sorry so long just needed to vent so to speak .
    Anyways will check the level again but with the eye it appears to be very close . The water sitting on it was pretty level with one or two high spots less than a half an inch off . Hoping I will enjoy my intex experience . Pool will come down ever winter !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry for how that happened.

An Intex pool isn't so bad. It will be a slightly different experience for you. There are plenty of us that leave our pools up over winter, so that actually is an option for you.

If you saved the wall fittings from the old pool, you can use them on the Intex. Several of us have hard plumbed, so it really isn't a big deal.

If you do decide to take it down over winter, unions will become your next best friend.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm sure my family and I will enjoy it . I will enjoy not worrying about it over winter ! We have rain in the forecast for the next 7 plus days . That's why I left the pool liner base in place . May use it along with the ground trap more layers the better I figure . My next question is how to place the pavers so as not to affect the liner ? If the post are centered on them I would think it would rub against the liner ? Any tips or hints before I get started would be appreciated

10. Back To Top    #10

I would definitely get the skimmer box off the old pool and use it as a modification on the new pool so you can use your sand filter and pump.

All little girls give that look to Daddy and get what they want.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

It's all gone to the dump wasted no time getting it gone . Didn't want any if the kids to get cut in the metal . I ordered the in text floating skimmer and salt water generator today . Not ready to cut a whole in my new pool yet I'm sure like most ill get there . Just want to get it up an running for now . How would you store it with the skimmer box installed ?

12. Back To Top    #12

Looking at the intex pumps does the 3000 make sense ? For this pool ? Matched with the 15000 salt water system ?
    Gonna let my Hayward pump sit and see how this works like the plug and play with no cutting or making my own adapters
    Also does the 22x52 come with the floating skimmer basket or do I need to buy separate ? If so where ? Don't see it on walmart.com
    The lesser priced pump shows a higher GPA rate 2800 GPH 139.99 2650 GPA 199.99 ?

13. Back To Top    #13

Check Amazon.com

There are some great deals, if you are willing to wait a few days for shipping. Make sure you are getting the SWG separate.

14. Back To Top    #14

You may want to check (I'm gonna say it...Leslie's) lol
    If you want to see something in person before you buy it or don't want to wait for shipping. I noticed they carried the intex deluxe floating skimmer and they also have some sort of intex hose adapters.

I recently switched to hayward fittings. (no cutting required but I had to make my own gaskets because the holes were a little bigger than I needed) If I hadn't already done it I may have looked into those hose adapters they were selling. Might be worth checking it out since you already have a pump and filter.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I already had a hayward pump and filter before switching my fittings and I didn't have any problems hooking it to my intex stuff. I was using the hoses that came with the pump and a hose clamp to hold it to the Intex plungers. No adapters...
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

15. Back To Top    #15

So if I'm reading this correct it should still be a simple plug and play . Just use the intex fitting with my Hayward hoses and all should be good ?and if I decide to swap out the fittings just need to make my own gasket ?

16. Back To Top    #16

Where I'm at

- - - Updated - - -

Where I'm at ,
    Pavers are all down and leveled . Tried to post pictures but says they are to large .

17. Back To Top    #17

Good luck on your new install.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Photo bucket works really well for pics here. The forum server won't let you actually upload very many so links from photo bucket (or somewhere similar) are the way to go!

18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

19. Back To Top    #19

So the ground is level pool is all put together . Long day ! Now my issue is getting the legs to line up with the pavers . Can't see them under the tarp . I'm thinking I could just fold the tarp up behind the legs so I can see the pavers . Anyone see any issues with this ? I plan to start filling tomorrow ( need to go get a rope for the base mine was never in the box )