Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Not Working....PLEASE HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Not Working....PLEASE HELP!

This is my second year with an Intex 18ft x 4ft AGP. I am using the pump it came with plus a SWG. I know this should be in my sig but I haven't figured that out yet. Anyway, finished filling the pool Sunday, added salt, and ran the pump 24 hours per instructions. Then ran the SWG for one cycle on Monday night. Came home yesterday and my regular pump has died. My husband checked it out and said I would need to order a new one. I ordered a new one online and it should be here by Mon. Or Tues. my question is......is there any way to keep my water clean until then. I really don't want to have to drain and start all over! Should I pour some bleach in there and try to stir it around? I haven't tested b/c I figure it's pretty pointless at this point. What should I do? TIA!
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Not Working....PLEASE HELP!

Just what you said except test the water first and the add the proper amount of bleach to reach your TARGET level per your cya and then brush your pool......so you now will be the pump do it daily in the evening once the sun is off the pool....sure you may have a little dirt on the bottom but you won't have a swamp......Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Did your Intex pump have a GFCI on the on the end of the cord?
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle View Post
    Just what you said except test the water first and the add the proper amount of bleach to reach your TARGET level per your cya and then brush your pool......so you now will be the pump do it daily in the evening once the sun is off the pool....sure you may have a little dirt on the bottom but you won't have a swamp......Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Did your Intex pump have a GFCI on the on the end of the cord?
    Yes, I have a GFCI cord. My husband found places on the bottom of the pump that were melted. I have no clue how that happened!
    I have no CYA in the pool yet and I'm assuming not much chlorine b/c the SWG only ran one cycle. Should I add maybe one bottle of bleach every other day until I get my pump? Does that sound about right?
    I will also vacuum and skim the top daily too
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a solar cover?
    Do you use granular stabilizer or liquid?
    Do not add a whole gallon of shock, I would only add enough to get to 5ppm fc and according to the pool calculator 35 oz of 10.5% liquid pool shock should get you in the ballpark.
    If you add a whole gallon you risk bleaching out your liner because you have no cya in the water and if you have a solar cover keep it on to protect the chlorine from the sun except when adding chlorine and brushing to circulate it..........Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle View Post
    Do you have a solar cover?
    Do you use granular stabilizer or liquid?
    Do not add a whole gallon of shock, I would only add enough to get to 5ppm fc and according to the pool calculator 35 oz of 10.5% liquid pool shock should get you in the ballpark.
    If you add a whole gallon you risk bleaching out your liner because you have no cya in the water and if you have a solar cover keep it on to protect the chlorine from the sun except when adding chlorine and brushing to circulate it..........Mike
    I have not put any stabilizer at all yet. No, I don't have a solar cover. I was seriously just heading outside to add another (added one yesterday) gallon of bleach. I think I will take your advice though and not do that. I think I will go vacuum and skim the top. Ugh! Pump hurry up and get here!
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame

6. Back To Top    #6

While I was waiting for a pump part to arrive last summer I still added bleach and then ran roundy-round in the pool holding a net, worked great!
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.