Drain and refill, now what

May 11, 2014
Bowie, Maryland
I just drained the pool to do some repairs: seal a crack, reattach some tile pieces, and sand the pool to smooth out the surface due to scaling and touch up some stains. I need a resurfacing but this will buy me some time. Filling with a hose and the pool should be full by this evening. Everything looks great. I will start up the filter and pump later today.

Now what should I be doing as far as testing and chemicals since the pool is being filled with "fresh" water. From some of the reading on the forum should I start "Slamming" right away or test first to determine how much?

BTW, dumb question but what is Slamming? I assume this means "Shocking the pool" with chlorine, which on this forum means adding bleach.

A question for you: Do you have one of the recommended test kits? Look here.

For your SLAM question, SLAM is Shock Level And Maintain. Pool stores/pool chemical companies teach that "shocking" your pool is a one time application of a product. Here we teach that it is a process, so the name SLAM. Read about it here.

Thanks. I couldn't find a test kit from the recommended list locally so I had to order one. Should get here next week. In the mean time I'll have to rely on the pool store for now.

Looks like I have some more reading to do in order to understand the CYA etc. I assume pool school covers all this and that's the best place to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.