Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain and refill, now what

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain and refill, now what

I just drained the pool to do some repairs: seal a crack, reattach some tile pieces, and sand the pool to smooth out the surface due to scaling and touch up some stains. I need a resurfacing but this will buy me some time. Filling with a hose and the pool should be full by this evening. Everything looks great. I will start up the filter and pump later today.

Now what should I be doing as far as testing and chemicals since the pool is being filled with "fresh" water. From some of the reading on the forum should I start "Slamming" right away or test first to determine how much?

BTW, dumb question but what is Slamming? I assume this means "Shocking the pool" with chlorine, which on this forum means adding bleach.
    60' x 20' L-shape, 23K gal, NSW, IG Plaster, built spring 2002, 3 HP Inteliflo pump, Cartridge filter, gas heater, swim lane, volleyball net, Dolphin A30i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain and refill, now what

A question for you: Do you have one of the recommended test kits? Look here.

For your SLAM question, SLAM is Shock Level And Maintain. Pool stores/pool chemical companies teach that "shocking" your pool is a one time application of a product. Here we teach that it is a process, so the name SLAM. Read about it here.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Add CYA to get to 30 - 50 ppm using pool math, then get your chlorine up. Test the water. You may not need to SLAM depending upon your test results and the look of your water.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I couldn't find a test kit from the recommended list locally so I had to order one. Should get here next week. In the mean time I'll have to rely on the pool store for now.

Looks like I have some more reading to do in order to understand the CYA etc. I assume pool school covers all this and that's the best place to start.
    60' x 20' L-shape, 23K gal, NSW, IG Plaster, built spring 2002, 3 HP Inteliflo pump, Cartridge filter, gas heater, swim lane, volleyball net, Dolphin A30i robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Leslies does a pretty good job of testing for FC and PH, But TA and especially CYA they're really bad.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, Pool School covers just about everything. When you run into something that you don't quite understand, you can ask here.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.