Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me compare these two colors...

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me compare these two colors...

I have Frontier Deck by Steigmeir. They make a deck renew paint that you can paint over your existing deck with. My deck is just like kool deck, just a different company.
    Anyway, I want to go with something darker because of stains mostly. I had the company send me actual samples and I then photographed the two choice outside on the decking. I then pulled it up in Photoshop and 'tried them on'. I can't decide which one I like best. One is called dark sand buff and has more red in it. The other choice is called burly wood with more of a grayish brown tone to it. I would love as many opinions as possible here. Thanks.

Dark Sand Buff

Burly Wood
    17,000 gallon roman shaped gunite pool-AquaRite goldline SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me compare these two colors...

I like the Dark Sand Buff better . I like the warmer tones better and I think it complements the water better.
    16 X 34 21,000 IG Vinyl Liner
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump
    New Sand Filter (had cartridge - hated them)

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a hard call. I like the Dark sand in relation to the water, but I like the Burley wood more in relation to your brick mortar.

I guess, I would go with what would accentuate the water more- so the Dark Sand.
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

My decking is closer to the second pic, and I often wish it were a little darker to reduce the glare.. so based on those 2 pics, I'd choose the first one.

Of course, the darker one will hold more heat... who knows if its enough to be of concern though. Is heat a problem with your existing deck?

that architecture/materials look familiar, you in Louisiana?

Good luck!
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the Dark Sand Buff. The Burly Wood looks a little washed out to me. Also, if your concern is staining, the darker color would be better.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

6. Back To Top    #6

Its starting to get interesting....keep the opinions coming.

Yes, stevenbrla, I am in LA, just northwest of Baton Rouge. Styles really are a regional thing aren't they?

7. Back To Top    #7

My personal choice would be something with the color of the second with the deeper shade of the first! Like on paint chip cards where it gets darker as you go down. I don't like the dark sand with your bricks, but I agree about the darker shade making the water look good and less glare. So I guess I would choose buffed dark burly sandalwood!!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    My personal choice would be something with the color of the second with the deeper shade of the first! Like on paint chip cards where it gets darker as you go down. I don't like the dark sand with your bricks, but I agree about the darker shade making the water look good and less glare. So I guess I would choose buffed dark burly sandalwood!!
    Ditto, my thoughts exactly!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

I also like the Dark Sand Buff
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by teppy
    One is called dark sand buff and has more red in it. The other choice is called burly wood with more of a grayish brown tone to it. I would love as many opinions as possible here. Thanks.

Funny how people read color differently. Maybe I'm color-challenged but they both look peach toned to me. Out of the two, I like the darker tone best but think a truer gray would suit your pool/hardscape well. Like the tones in the wood fence you have
    No Cover Charge
    17,000 gal IG w/ raised 8' spillover spa, 3M plaster, 10' stainless rain WF, Pentair SAM lights, Sta-Rite Sys3 cart. filter, Intellichlor SWG, 400kBTU Gas Heater, Paramount IF Cleaners, ET-8 Wireless Remote

11. Back To Top    #11

I like the lighter one.. for me it blends in with the existing surroundings a little better. I'm biased because I had a similar choice and while I love the tone of the darker shade, it appeared to be ..I don't know..more "manufactured" than the lighter tone..
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

12. Back To Top    #12

Dark Sand Buff!

13. Back To Top    #13

Dark sand buff! I concur. We have a color closer to your burley wood color and BOY is it BRIGHT! I wish we would have darked it down a few shades (even here in sunny hot Houston) because you can't even look out the window without sunglasses on! Don't get me wrong, we love it!, just an after the fact thought, and possibly good advice for you.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by teppy
    Its starting to get interesting....keep the opinions coming.

Yes, stevenbrla, I am in LA, just northwest of Baton Rouge. Styles really are a regional thing aren't they?
    Teppy,

I am also in the BR area. We live about 10 miles East of BR in Denham.

I think out of these 2 choices, I like the darker one too (dark sand buff). I think it sets off the pool and the grout in the brick work better. However, I am not sure what colors you have on your house and house trim. It looks like in the background there are some bricks and some painted brick that would match either color deck, but how bout the rest of the house?

Also, for me personally,,, like someone else mentioned, I might like a little more grayish tone of the darker one. Of course, we have grayish trim on our house.

Good luck on your choice......

DMAN
    17,500g ; 16X32 Inground Vinyl
    Hayward 1hp ; SWG
    3/4hp booster on Polaris 280
    WHO DAT!
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

15. Back To Top    #15

thanks so very much to everyone who gave their opinion. I really like both colors, but had my favorite from the start. It relly helped knowing that most people liked my first choice also. I ordered the dark sand buff deck renew today. I should have it soon. I will post photos of it when its all done.