Pump problem

Depends on the size and length of the extension cord ... if it is at least 12AWG (preferably bigger) and not very long (< 50 feet) then the voltage drop should be reasonable.

I'm not totally sure if this is correct, but a motor rated at 12 amp @ 115 volts should use 1380 VA (Watts). If it's the only device on the circuit and is using 15 amps and we divide 1380VA by 15A and get 92V. The voltage loss would be your unloaded voltage minus 92. If the unloaded voltage is 110 there's an 18v loss, and a 28v loss @ 120v.

I don't think the voltage loss is necessary to know, we already know the motor is using more current than it is rated for, and over-current is what burns up wiring such as the motor windings. Circuit breakers are designed to protect the house wiring from catching fire, not the devices connected. I personally think 15 amps is more than adequate on a 12 amp motor by itself and I would keep it on 15 amp breaker to limit the over-current to 25% more instead of 66% more on a 20 amp breaker. I would go buy a better extension cord and put it back on the 15 amp breaker until the permanent line can be ran.

Just wanted to report back that I finally got the pump running on a dedicated outlet and it made all the difference.

On the extension cord it ran fine on the filter setting, but backwash or rinse caused the pump to shut off after ten seconds.

After getting the dedicated outlet in every setting is running smooth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.