Algaecide or not?

Shaz

Aug 19, 2012
Just finished a week of slamming my pool and the algae appears to be gone. Will adding Polyquat 60 be of any benefit or should I keep the FC at shock level? If so, how long do you suggest? Thanks

Did you pass all three criteria to stop the SLAM ?
1 Water is crystal clear.
2 You have CC of 0.5 or less.
3 You can pass the OCLT.
Can you post a full set of test results and what test kit you are using ?
The polyquat 60 is not needed if you maintain your FC level in range for your CYA level. ?

1. Water is clear
2. What is OCLT??
3. FC - see below PH - 7.5 CYA - between 60 & 70

Test kit from Leslie's - DPD Test Kit made by Taylor. I'm a bit confused about how to determine exactly what the FC is as the numbers on the test kit are 0-5 and a color comparison is used?? FC levels have remained much darker than the darkest color on the kit throughout the day, but how do i determine what the level is exactly. Forgive my ignorance - i need to be educated. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

Shaz, The OCLT is an overnight chlorine loss test. It is done at the end of every SLAM to conclude that all algae is killed.

Your water can be clear but still have organics consuming chlorine.

You need an FAS DPD test which you can add to your kit from TFtestkits.net. The kit you have now can not perform the OCLT.

As far as algaecide goes, you don't need it. Like pwstrk stated, as long as you keep the FC up and in relation to CYA, it is not needed.

Have you read Pool School?

Thanks for the info - I'll order the FAS DPD straightaway. I did read Pool School a year or two ago, but obviously need to go back. We're installing a new filter and SWG in a few days and really want to be sure that the algae is gone before. Will it matter if the FC is still at shock level when we add the salt?

It will not matter when you add salt but you would benefit greatly by reading Pool School and becoming proficient in TFPC. Pool ownership will become a breeze. Make sure you get the FAS DPD test. Everyone who own a pool should own one.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer my questions. I went back and re-read Jason's article about getting rid of algae and he did mention the FAS DPD test, apparently I skimmed over that (bad habit). I ordered the test last nite as soon as I read the last post. As of today the pool is crystal clear and the chlorine level seems to be holding, but I will wait and until I receive the test and can be sure before reducing the chlorine.

I will go back and study pool school. Forgive me, I'm 62 and don't remember everything I've read over the last couple of years. I have absolute faith in your methods - they worked for me last year. Again, thanx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.