Fighting algae for 2 days now - getting better

Jul 5, 2008
Hi,
I posted a couple of days ago about fighting recurring algae. I have done all that was recommended and see a clearer pool today. My shallow end is beautiful, the deep end is now cloudy, not murky, just cloudy. There had been a greenish uck around the stairs for days which is now gone. I feel as though I am making progress, but am unsure how to move forward. I only have a test kit that will measure up to 10 for FC. I have ordered the kit as suggested, but do not want to lose ground while I wait. So, any suggestions? Here are the numbers I have for today: CH100, TC7, FC10, PH7.6, TA120, CYA50.
Thanks!

Besides all the norms like put your pool info in your signature and get a good test kit (done :goodjob: ) Are you vaccuuming daily? Brushing down the walls?

Does your FC still drop overnight? This is the benchmark for organics. If it still is dropping, continue at shock levels until it doesn't drop. I don't think your TC number is right because it is the total of CC and FC. Looks like you are on the right path - just keep it up!

However if your FC is 7 and your TC is 10 - then you probably still have some algae. CC needs to be 1 ppm or under.

There is really no harm in letting your pool stay at shock levels until you get your kit. It should be on its way. Then you should have a better idea of what is going on :)

I guess I did not set that info up correctly at the beginning when I registered here. I will attempt to correct that. I have a strip test for the numbers I posted earlier. The drop test I have for chlorine level is registered darker than the 5 - 10 level. I really don't understand all I should about these tests. How do you determine the fact the CC is still high? I really want to understand all this and this site has helped greatly. Although I have a lot of swimmers I am the only pool maintenance person in the house so I need all the help I can get! Thanks again!

eaglesflying said:
I guess I did not set that info up correctly at the beginning when I registered here. I will attempt to correct that. I have a strip test for the numbers I posted earlier. The drop test I have for chlorine level is registered darker than the 5 - 10 level. I really don't understand all I should about these tests. How do you determine the fact the CC is still high? I really want to understand all this and this site has helped greatly. Although I have a lot of swimmers I am the only pool maintenance person in the house so I need all the help I can get! Thanks again!

Go back to Pool School and read BBB for beginners, What to test for, ABC's of pool water chemistry, fighting algae... (I don't recall the exact name for that article).

FC + CC = TC

Your Free Chlorine is what prevents algae and sanitizes your pool. If your TC is 10 and your FC is 7, then your CC is 3. Any CC over .5 means you still have organics in your pool consuming your chlorine and you need to shock your pool until your water is crystal clear AND

your FC holds OVERNIGHT (key here is during the dark - no UV interference), you lose less than 1ppm FC during the nighttime hours

your CC reads .5 or less

Hope this helps. :wave:

Can FINALLY see the bottom of the deep end

[Merged topics:jjparrish]

I was so excited to actually see the bottom of the deep end of my pool this morning. I have been fighting algae since the 4th, probably longer and didn't realize it. Anyway, guess you guys know what you're talking about!! My numbers this morning are (these are with a strip test): TC10, FC10(appears to be very close to 10 if not 10), PH7.6, TA130, CYA60. My question is do I continue to add bleach this morning? I think from all I've read the answer is yes. How will I know how much to put in? I have order the better test from this site and am hoping it to be here today, but I do not want to lose ground in the meantime. One other question is can I put the borax in the pool when I get this completely cleared up? Thanks again for all the help.

BTW I still haven't fix my profile thing for the pool and all. I don't know the pump size and all, but I have an IG, 36000 gallons, vinyl, with salt generator and sand filter. I will find out the specifics today and post because I know I will be using this site a lot!

Re: Can FINALLY see the bottom of the deep end

Actually, if you trust your test strips and you water is clear, you can let your FC drop to the 'target' level in the CYA chlorine chart for SWG pools (4ppm).

Why do you want to add borax?

Well the deep end is not crystal clear, the shallow end is. There is a slight cloudiness (haze) in the deep end. I wanted to do the borax as a part of the BBB. Thanks for your help.

I think there is some confusion about BBB. Not everyone will have to add all three, routinely. Borax serves a purpose, when needed.

I haven't added anything except bleach since switching to BBB in May of 07. Haven't needed to.

With a SWG, your TA is high, and your ph will drift up from the aeration of the SWG. So you should consider lowering your TA - see the article in Pool School. Also check out the recommended levels for water chemistry of SWG pools....

IF the Borax is for a "borates" thing....get your TA and PH in order first, as Borax will raise PH....If the borax was cause you thought it's required....not necessarily so.

Use the pool calculator to determine dosing for pool chems. Once you have a 'routine' and are confident in your testing/pool maintenance, you'll be able to determine your daily chlorine demand and set your SWG accordingly. Is it turned on? You won't need to add bleach daily with an SWG, only having to add bleach for shocking.

Yes, you do need a good test kit. The strips can be very inaccurate. You can use strips to test for salt readings, however.

If your FC is 10 and your total chlorine is 10, then you have no cc's. BUT - Was this a test to see if the FC held overnight? Or was this a test after recently adding chlorine? You need to know if you have no CC's. You are done shocking when your water is clear, your FC holds overnight, and you have .5 cc's or less.

Honestly the best thing you could do for your pool right now is order a good test kit, like the TF-100. The sooner you have it the sooner you'll have complete control of your pool.

Hope this helps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well thanks. As I said I am hoping the kit comes today. Got an email yesterday saying it had been shipped so I think maybe I will get it today. Nonetheless, this test was first thing this morning without adding any bleach. My SWG is on. My concern was that the deep end was still a bit cloudy and I know the accuracy of the strips in questionable. I just wasn't sure if I should add some bleach, turn up the % on the SWG or what. Trying my best not to go backwards. Thanks.

There was a thread this week about the deepend being cloudy, but numbers were good. Circulation could be the issue. Be sure if you have a bottom drain in the deep end that it's circulating the water, or direct returns at that end of the pool down towards the deepend. Try getting in there and stirring the deepend up, brushing if possible. It could be as simple as that.....

Did you do overnight shipping? I got an email saying my product shipped the day I ordered it, but it took 2 business days for DHL to actually deliver it.

I read something about "wearing out the cell" on the SWG if you use it to generate too much chlorine, so it's better to add liquid if you are raising the FC significantly. IF your test, even tho it was strip, was first thing this morning, without adding more, that is a very good sign!

So try circulating the water a bit, keep the FC up one more day, just to be sure! :goodjob:

Well, if it was my pool, I would take it back up to shock level tonight. Just can't stand the thought of still having some algae that might get a foothold again. :twisted:

Hopefully your TF 100 will be in your hands tomorrow! After it arrives and you test your water, you will know EXACTLY what to do.

I was having a clouding issue without my levels being off...BUT I also KNEW that my levels were good because I had my trusty TF-100 and my dashing lab coat! :lol: To be on the safe side, I shocked it anyway. :oops:

I think mine was a circulation issue. I upped the number of hours that my pump was running and it finally filtered out all of the "haze". I also think mine was caused by adding soda and calcium at the same time (stupid pool store and stupid me for listening).

If you aren't sure, I would shock tonight too. It's so hard to tell by the test strips and even a little bit of CC could indicate that you aren't done, ya know?

Test Kit Came Today!!

Merged Topic: jjparrish

The DHL lady just delivered my test kit so I immediately tested my water. Here are my numbers: PH7.2, FC10.5, CC1, AK130, CYA50. I have been posting a battle with algae since the 4th. The deep end was quite hazy yesterday and I brushed it as someone suggested and it is less hazy today. The algae problem is no longer visible although I know that doesn't mean it is gone. If I have read the info correctly here I still need to add bleach to the pool until I lose less than 1ppm FC overnight. Is that right? Also, my CC needs to be .5 or less, right? Anyway, I am so excited to be able to get real numbers now. Please let me know what ya'll think.

I am having a problem adding my info to the signature part of my posts. I just can't find where to do that. Please help with that as well. My pool is IG, 36,000 gallons, salt generator, sand filter.
Thanks!

Re: Test Kit Came Today!!

It sounds like you are on track and know what needs to be done.

To edit your signature, Click on the User Control Panel under the TFP logo at the top of the page. Select "Profile" on the left side of the page, then "Edit Signature".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.