Cloudy pool

stebs

Dec 8, 2013
Alright, have a cloudy pool... Pool was "closed" by loading up the skimmers with bioguard smart tabs :mad: anywho, pulled cover off to find green as expected...

First test after 3 gal of 12.5% in 29,000 gal vinyl pool and followed by 4 gal the next day...
FC: 16
CC I think was 1
Ph: 7.7ish
Cya: 50-60
CH: 150
TA: 90

Added a gal to bump FC to about 20 per cya chart
Added what was left of lo n slo for ph
Tested later but didn't save them
Added 2 more gal to bump FC to around 24

Tested tonight after several days....
FC: 6.5
CC: 0
Ph 7.4ish
CH 200

I will say I'm surprised at how low CH is considering the pool has lived on granular chlorine, cal hypo and smart tabs. The pool is still very cloudy, can't quite see main drain in 8ft deep end. Water temp not checked yet but estimated around 50-55 degrees. Thoughts and opinions?

Looks to me like you started a SLAM and didn't follow thru with it.
Take sometime to review the SLAM process and follow it to the T. SLAM Process
Your finished when
1 Your water is crystal clear.
2 You have CC of 0.5 or less.
3 You can pass the OCLT. OCLT Test
May I ask what test kit you are using ? If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us help you better. ?

Filter is a large pentair cartridge filter, pressures normal, no spike in pressures like I fought with the cal hypo. I have cleaned it once and probably need to clean it again, but it's a pita. I'm using the tf100 kit with speedstir. I take care of 3 pools for friends, this one and another one I'm trying the tfp method. The oclt test could be tricky...

Did you vacuum? is there any debris at the bottom that could be consuming chlorine? It's not going to clear if you can't hold shock level... letting it drop down in between visits won't clear it...you mentioned "several days". Has anyone been adding chlorine on the days you weren't there?

SLAM'ing is Shock Level And Maintain. You're not maintaining and it's not going to clear from the cloudy stage but start to turn green again.

Okay, so 50 some gallon of 12.5% in and I decided to break out the pond test kit and check for ammonia.... Bright yellow... Somewhere around .25 or so... Do I just need to keep chlorinating the daylights out of it then?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.