Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I Use A Hair Dryer on a Vinyl liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I Use A Hair Dryer on a Vinyl liner?

I took the cover off the pool and the bead on the liner has come loose from the track in a few spots. I tried putting it back in, but couldn't get the liner to stretch up and over the track. I wondered about using a hair dryer to warm the liner enough to get it back into the track.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I Use A Hair Dryer on a Vinyl liner?

Not recommended at all. Obvously the electrical applicance danger. Secondly, you could get it too hot. That said, Im sure some have done it though.

Ive seem many other folks here recommend to pour very hot water on the liner to help heat it up a bit.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've read near boiling water to stretch the liner back into the bead track. I believe someone used a hair dryer just a few weeks ago but really, why take the chance of electrocution? So not worth it IMO!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I was thinking about the electrocution thing. Mostly I wanted to know if using heat was a possible option.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

Using heat is the way to go... but by using HOT water.

6. Back To Top    #6

I fixed it without heat. I took the top rail off and working from the top just pulled the liner up and tucked it back into the bead. It was relatively simple.

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad you fixed it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm new to vinyl and have two small areas to reattach for an igp. Is the top rail an above ground pool thing?

20 x 40 28k gallon Salt Water Vinyl IGP, Hayward pump and Sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. AGPs have a steel pool wall. The top rail is plastic and sits over pegs on the top of the posts that go around the outside of the pool wall. At least on my pool there's a groove in the bottom of the rail that fits over the pool wall. I didn't really need to take the rail off, it just made it easier to see what I was doing.