Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Harmony Robotic pool cleaner and chlorine generator

1. Back To Top    #1

Harmony Robotic pool cleaner and chlorine generator

Has anyone had any experience with the Harmony Robotic cleaner that uses salt in the water to produce the chlorine? Just wondering if they work...
    25000 gal., IG, vinyl liner, Sand filter, 1 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Harmony Robotic pool cleaner and chlorine generator

First I'll just say if you're gonna spring for a salt system, get one that's got a proven reputation and a known brand that has been around awhile. I've never heard of this item and had to google it. I'm not a big fan of robot vacuums to begin with, so maybe I'm baised. Here's where I see potential problems - the robots have parts that routinely go bad, robots in general that is.

So they combined a salt generator with a vacuum. To me, screams gimmick.

Key issues for pools - pools need circulation, filtration - they need this more than they need a vacuum. You're not gonna run your vacuum all the time, and there's no way to know (because every pool is unique in terms of chlorine demand) if this unit will produce enough chlorine during the limited time a vacuum needs to operate. It may even produce too much, who knows. So now you've sprung for a very expensive toy without knowing how effective it's going to be. It's your primary source of chlorine. What happens if one of the parts that operates the robot breaks? No chlorine production. I've seen robots work fine for about a year, then they need repair. Often.

You're spending $$ on a toy, electricity to run it, electricity to run your pump... with an inline salt cell, you're already using the pump/filter which you need anyway.

It just screams gimmick to me, I dunno. Anyway, my rambling thoughts... LOL
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Harmony Robotic pool cleaner and chlorine generator

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I had never heard of them either. Just wanted to see if I had been missing out on a new technology. I guess not.
    25000 gal., IG, vinyl liner, Sand filter, 1 HP Hayward pump